Crest Pro-Lite 2.0 (damaged) - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hennessybass, Feb 19, 2014.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Just got this in the mail today.
    [​IMG]

Open up the box, unpack, and hear a rattle in there. :rollno: Figure it's a loose screw, so I crack it open... but it was this.
    [​IMG]

Which is the same as these two...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seem like metal, not magnetic. Can't for the life of me figure out where this third ring would go, or how it could have broken into 4 pieces once is was put in place and secured in the chassis.

Loose piece from the factory that got slipped into the chassis, and then broke up in shipping?

I know, I know... send it back, right? Well, I really want to use this thing on a gig this Friday!!
  2. Cirk

Cirk

Would it work as a temporary fix to solder it back together over the correct wires and zip tie the outside for insurance? Just guessing, i really don't know for sure.
  3. hennessybass

don't know which wires it would even go on!

anyone out there got a gut shot of a pro-lite 2?
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a ferrite toroid, for noise suppression. They tend to be very brittle if not wrapped with shrink wrap or coated with epoxy or something similar. You usually see them on the AC line and speaker output cables, and then maybe smaller ones on the input cabling. Call Peavey tech support and see whether the third one belonged in there in the first place. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hennessybass

Thanks Passinwind.
  7. hennessybass

Just spoke with Crest / Peavey support. The broken ferrite toroid (thanks, PW) does belong in the amp. There are supposed to be two of them right next to each other, warped around the cables that go to the output. I only have one,,, and one broken one.

Dang. Guess this guy is going back.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer, but at least you caught it right out of the box. Looking forward to checking that series out one of these days, even though I'm not really in the market.

Glad I could help a little. Peavey tech support has always been ace, in my experience.
  9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Unless both ends are soldered, it seems a shame to return the amp for a 5 minute fix.
    Peavey might be good enough to send you the new toroid.
    Mark the cables and unplug, slip on the new toroid, away you go.
  10. hennessybass

You are right, but I believe both ends are soldered.
  11. David Jayne

David Jayne

You could just try it without it. Won't hurt anything. Might be noisy, might not.
  12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Or in a pinch, you can put it on and wrap it with electrical tape to hold it together.
    It will probably not hurt to run without it.
    Most likely just an RF filter to meet FCC compliance.

If it is soldered in search for: snap-on ferrite bead
  13. hennessybass

interesting stuff guys. I think I will give the amp a try before I send it back. I'll have a look inside again tomorrow and see what's up.
  14. hennessybass

you think I could reconstruct the ferrite in a more permanent way? some kind of epoxy or even solder? Seems like it would be easy to reconstruct right over the wires.
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Brand new amp with a problem - plus it's light weight so easy shipping? Be crazy not to send it back for a new one IMHO.
  16. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

I had one for about half a year before I switched to all tube amps and it was rock solid. Take advantage of that warranty. Maybe it was knocked loose in shipping, you never know what could be on the brink of going out too. They'll hook you up with a new amp and you'll be happy as ever.
  17. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    If I receive a new amp with an issue, it goes back. I don't like it when things depreciate before they get to my door. ;)
  18. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Would it be possible to bring the amp somewhere local where they repair peavey stuff?
  19. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

They are made out of ceramic. If you just want to glue it back in place, get some ceramic glue, put it together and secure it with a zip tie.
  20. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    It is for radio frequency noise suppression. If you glue it, it won't work the same. The gaps will alter the magnetic properties. The amp will work just fine without it, but will possibly no longer comply with FCC regulations.

You could exchange the amp for a new one or possibly ask for a new ferrite core and wrap the wire through it like the other wire.
  21. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

There are ferrite chokes that snap together, which would not require resoldering any wires.