Crest Prolite 2.0 Dampening factor?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

Quick question...does anyone know the dampening factor of the Crest Prolite 2.0 and 3.0?

Thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Damping factor > 255

Damping is nothing anybody has needed to worry about for any power-amp for decades and decades.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Why do you want to know how fast it can get wet? :bag:

7. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

Thanks for the technical paper...i'm evidently over-thinking this issue. I was messing around with different power amps and trying to understand some of the differences that I'm hearing. Nothing scientific. If this technical study is legit it makes one wonder why these figures are published at all.

8. Jeff Scott

Damping factor makes a big difference with regard to tube amps, not so much, as you have gathered, with solid state amps. :cool:

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

at this point, don't most ss amps have a better damping factor than the average 30' speaker cable?

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Its a big number to boast about for marketing, people are getting wise to wattage, so moving on to other ones.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

What you are hearing is undoubtedly about the input impedance and/or any other signal massaging that's going on in the power amps.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Damping factor can be an indicator of the sophistication of a power amp design. The reason for that is difficult to explain without getting super technical (this is covered in senior level engineering classes), but it involves gain, negative feedback, and stability...in other words, the amplifier's ability to correct proportion of input signal vs output signal, because that's what an audio amp should basically do. You put signal in, and get signal out that is exactly "scaled up". Engineers have achieved astronomical DF specs in solid state, push-pull type amplifiers (class AB, G, H). There are many patents relating to this, but there is a point of not being able to tell the difference sonically, as has been said. It's bragging rights.

Damping factor is manipulated extensively in solid state and tube amplifiers intended for musical instrument use. There are also many patents relating to that.

Traditional PWM class D amplifiers have inherently low damping factors, and again this is difficult to explain, but it relates to the stage that actually generates the PWM limiting gain, which reduces the effect of negative feedback, which means that the amplifier's ability to correct errors in proportion is limited. It's common for this type of amp to have damping factors in the 20 to 50 range.

Higher damping factors are possible with modern class D amp technologies. This gets the amp into "it doesn't matter sonically" territory. That's where the Prolite 2.0 is at.

13. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I bought my Prolite 2.0 based on comments Bobby made in http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/good-source-crest-amps-998057/#post14588815

I am delighted with how well it performs.
    Silent, powerful, and masterful control of subs and tops using the built-in 100 Hz biamping.
    The bass is very tight and strong.

14. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Your choice of speaker cable usually has a bigger effect on actual damping factor than the amp's spec.