Crest ProLITE 2.0 vs. Peavey IPR2-2000

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LowEZ, Mar 20, 2014.

1. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Let me know if I'm missing anything here. They spec similarly with similar if not identical crossover and limiter. However, the ProLITE costs a little less, has native bridging, and most importantly (to me), doesn't look like it would be more at home powering a Kicker sub while illuminating the trunk of my kid's Civic. And really, even if you're not a snob, would you ever impulsively choose Peavey over Crest? The ProLITE does weigh in 3.5 pounds heavier than the IPR2 but as I've seen the inside of my IPR-1600, I'll cross my fingers and hope that translates into 3.5 pounds of better build materials.

Yes, I know Hartley gets my money either way. Maybe that's the plan as he's been getting my cash for 30 years. How have the ProLITEs been working for those of you who are using them? I'm seriously considering one to go with a Peavey pre of all things.

2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Yep, either one comes in a box that says Peavey on it. I don't know how you choose.

The Prolites are my only experience with power amps for my bass rig. Using with a Zoom B3

Is the standard bridged Speakon enough? It is for me.

I had a 3.0, which was ridiculously overpowered and traded down to a 2.0 (which is just overpowered). I've only used it for a few gigs, but so far so good.

3. bgavin

bgavin

4. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I just got a ProLite 2. Chose that over the Peavey because of the "powering a Kicker sub while illuminating the trunk of my kid's Civic" look, which I am not into. And other than that, it seemed to be a very simple unit. I like simple. The bridged output is nice - no need for a special cable.

The first unit I received was damaged - a fluke I think, and nothing to worry about. Here is a thread on it... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/crest-pro-lite-2-0-damaged-help-1056538/

Got a replacement unity, and have been running it with my Alembic FX-1. Only complaint is that I am now dealing with massive amounts of low end. The Alembic puts out a lot of low end, and combined with a wide opened power amp, there is a little more than I would like. I am ordering a HPF and will probably stick it in the FX loop of the alembic, so I can also kill some lows when playing with a big PA with subs. This is more of a personal taste thing for my tone, but I mention it because my understanding is that many power amps have a built in HPF. That doesn't solve the PA subs problem for me though.

So far I'm very pleased with the ProLite.

A few threads on the topic...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-ipr-crest-prolite-crown-xls-1028881/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/crest-users-ca-series-vs-pro-lite-944082/