Crest users, Ca series vs Pro Lite?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thumbstruck, Dec 29, 2012.

1. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Picked up a CA6 a couple weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Saw how affordable and light the Pro-Lite series is, and was curious if anyone had experience with both lines.
  2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I knew a guy locally that was selling a CA-9 I believe but I went with the Pro Lite for the light weight and high power. The CA series are supposed to be great power amps too, but they're heavy.

This is my pro lite 2.0:
    [​IMG]
  3. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Yeah, the CA6 is definitely heavy. Sounds greats though. Just wondering if the Pro Lite has the same tone quality in a lighter package.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Sub'd
    Big picture wise and based on price, the Pro Lite can't be as bullet proof as the CA series
    The .775V input sensitivity makes it attractive for Ampeg pre owners though as the only other alternative I can find at this price point is the Peavey IPR series and am worried that making a bridging cable as it does not show a briding option in the manual.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Can you tell me about input sensitivity? Power amp/pre combos are kind of new territory for me.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Fear not. It has been posted by a Peavey representative that the bridging cable is ok, and doesn't good anything. The reason they don't include it in the manual is that only the 1600 and 3000 are bridgeable and the manual is for all, even the higher powered units.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Many here can explain this better than I but here goes:
    A power amp requires a certain amount of voltage at its' input for it to deliver the full rated output power. Typically the numbers you see most often are .775, 1.0, 1.25, and maybe 1.50 volts.

Pre-amps also have a maximum output as rated per the manufacturer within the rated distortion figures.

If the amp needs more voltage than the preamp can deliver, the amp won't deliver its' full rated output power.

Some of the older Ampeg SVP-CL preamps will only put out .775 Volts. It will not drive my power amp to any where near its full rated output power as this amp requires more voltage. In my case, Peavey, and Crest offer amps that have a .775V input sensitvity.

I have overcome this problem by using a device to boost this signal although I really don't need more stuff to carry but rather a better match of components.
  9. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Ah right, ok. My CA6 has a .775 input sensitivity, but I can't find the corresponding measure on my pre (Avalon 737). On the output it only says Balanced 600 ohms +30db.
  10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The Crest Pro 200 would be more in the same league as the CA series if you want to shed some pounds. Pro Lite is more budget oriented.

CA series has beautiful, quality USA construction (repairable, and actually WORTH repairing if something should happen), and they are a steal used if you don't mind the weight and depth.

[​IMG]
  11. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Yeah, I got a pretty amazing deal on a mint CA6, sounds like I should hold onto it, and just write off the extra weight as a trade for tone and reliability.
  12. JGR

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I switched from a CA9 to a PLX 3602 only because my cabs are all shallow (14 - 15") which left very little wiggle room to put the rack on the cabs. I don't mind the weight, and if they were shallower, I would've stuck with it. Just gold ol' big block hemi massive torquey goodness. :)
  13. audiorep2

audiorep2

Before retiring two years ago, I was a sales rep for 20 years. Six or so with Crest ( a couple before the Peavey take over ), and five for Crown.

CA series has beautiful, quality USA construction (repairable, and actually WORTH repairing if something should happen), and they are a steal used

Very true words. You get what you pay for. Often these days, higher power = fudged specs or testing. Better price = weaker chasis , poorer quality components.
  14. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

I have a CA9 that I no longer use. It is worth so little to sell, that I keep it in hopes of using it for a bigger home stereo system. But I sure don't need 600 watts per channel for that.

When I did use it in my bass setup, I kept it separate in its own Gator case. This I left on the floor either behind or next to my cab, and I just had my preamp on top of the cab. This made the weight of the Crest no big deal.

And in my experience in A/B comparing the CA9 to a QSC PLX2402, the Crest was noticeably fuller sounding with deeper bass that I could feel more (was using a SansAmp RBI pre). I don't think the QSC sounded bad, and maybe it had a high-pass filter in it or something else that made it sound less punchy and deep. Also compared these amps at that time with a Stewart World 2.1, which I thought sounded the same as the QSC, but also not as deep or punchy as the CA9. No science here, just one guy's opinion.
  15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    +1

I still use my QSC GX7, but there are other power amps I like the sound of better. Would like to look into either a Crown iTech or a Crest Prolite
  16. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

I hear ya. The only thing I had to A/B it against was taking my pre and bypassing the pre on my svt3. That power section sounded like a fart in a paper bag compared to how deep and punchy the CA6 sounds.
  17. JGR

Disclosures:
    I think a lot of the perceived shortcomings with the old QSC's, at least the PLX line anyway, stemmed from the lousy input sensitivities and low input impedances; they were hard to drive and tended to load preamp signals down which can have a negative impact on headroom and tone. My new 3602 is 1.2V and I believe 10k, so no issues there, and I can't say it gives up anything to the CA9. Feels more powerful at 8 ohms (stereo) which is cool.
  18. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Bump to revive this thread to hear from someone who has used both amp lines who can tell us about differences (tone, punch, loudness, etc.). Thanks, DM
  19. Jhonnybass

Jhonnybass Supporting Member

I'm debating whether to buy a pro lite or a CA series amp and would love to hear if anyone has direct experience with both amps

- quick question aside - I have a fearful 12/12/6/1 - If I were to go with the CA series should I save a buck and go for a CA4 in bridged mode which outputs 1100W at 4ohms or should I run only one channel with a CA9 which outputs 900W at 4ohms? I'm pretty sure my cab could handle 900W rms.
  20. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Thought I'd chime in as the first replier and say that I'm still loving my Crest Prolite 2.0. It's always seeing a 4 ohm load bridged and its sounding awesome! Super reliable amp and I'll continue gigging it until I find a tube replacement or decide to try a different route.

My rig's never gone up past 1/4 of the way, couldn't recommend this thing more.
  21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I am in the same boat. My ProLite 2.0 has been great. Loud and light also.

I might lean toward a CA9 if I was touring, but I don't see the need for a 50lb poweramp when I am doing a few bar gigs a month.