1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crisp, funky, punchy, bassy sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MothBox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. MothBox

MothBox

As the title suggests I'm trying to get a crisp funky punchy bassy tone which I think is slightly compressed.

Zenders tone on Return of the Space Cowboy is a good example of this sort of tone.

A lot of it is probably in the bass and playing but I'm not looking to clone a tone, I'm looking to create my own within this sort of arena.

Any ideas where to start?
  2. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jazz bass with new strings are a good starting point ;)
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

.. and a good amp.
  4. MothBox

MothBox

Reckon it's all in the bass, technique and amp rather than effects?

I wondered if a lot of the sound I was looking for was post processing which isn't something I can create live.

I'm using nordstrand big splits on a btb at the moment. Not exactly a standard jazz but I really like the tone, which is my starting point. Find a pleasing tone then crunch it into something a little more compressed funk.
  5. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I never found Stuart to sound much like a jazz bass. Not sure I've ever seen him play one either. There is a ton going on with his studio tone.
  6. MothBox

MothBox

He played a Warick from what I've read in the past through a Boss multi effect pedal... But I can't imagine that was all of the tone.

But, I'm using that as an example of the sort of area, not a copy. That deep compressed tone that sounds punchy. I've never been able to achieve that myself and having had some poor experiences with compression pedals tally in the past I've steered clear of them until recently getting a Boss one to limit peaks.

But, is it all a compression pedal and the choice of bass?
  7. refbassist

refbassist

He played warwick streamer if i remember correctly, and that's a typical warwick sound with the stock MEC pups..