Critique my recording signal chain

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by g4string, Sep 18, 2013.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Iv been [somewhat] blowing up this sub-forum trying to get prepared for my bands upcoming recording. It went from a 4 song EP, to an 8 song+ LP. I recorded my last bands EP at my drummers house cause he had all the gear. This time, I would like the ability to track from home. Since we'll be doing about twice as much stuff as I had previously recorded with this drummer, that means twice as much time tracking. Given all that.....it would be sweet to track from home. Then send the drummer the WAV files for import/mixing. There are still a few variables I need to work out (which software to use, which interface). But otherwise, I think I have finally settled on a signal path for recording. Please free to interject on anything you see here. Im a recording newb, perhaps I'm doing something passé. signal path is

guitar>REDDI DI out>Summit Audio Leveler TLA-50>interface>daw

REDDI thru>amp/speaker>Heil PR40>Warm Audio WA12preamp>interface>daw.

UPDATED SIGNAL CHAIN

guitar>REDDI DI>Apogee Duet II>Reaper (clean signal channel)

REDDI thru>amp/speaker>Heil PR40>Warm Audio WA12 preamp>Apogee Duet II>Reaper (dirty signal channel)

I guess my only question is regarding compression/leveling. Is comp/leveling needed more between the DI>interface or mic pre>interface. Or is the need to comp/level just as important between both signal paths as it is only one.

Do you think I have this signal path setup right?
  2. Chromer

Chromer

So there are two schools of thought. One is to get exactly the sound you want, and commit it to disk as early as possible. The other is to get as clean and unprocessed recording as possible, and process during mixdown to get the final sound in the context of the whole mix.

With both the reddi and the WA pre being quite colored, I'm guessing you're going with the first option. My only suggestion would be to skip the compressor on the DI chain. Record with full dynamics, and compress if necessary at mixdown in the context of the full mix. Maybe that will be through your leveller, or maybe something else will sound better.
  3. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

+1. With the headroom available in digital these days, I tend to record big, and compress for the mix, unless you're using compression as an effect.
  4. g4string

Thanks for the reassurance on compression. Good thing too.....I've exceeded my budget and am leaving the Summit out of the signal chain. I'll let them mix in an 1176 plug in at mix down of they want to compress.

Also, a local shop has an Apogee Duet II on sale. I will use that as my interface. I'll be using Reaper as my DAW

Here's the updated chain

guitar>REDDI DI>Apogee Duet II>Reaper (clean signal channel)
    REDDI thru>amp/speaker>Heil PR40>Warm Audio WA12 preamp>Apogee Duet II>Reaper (dirty signal channel)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Yeah... I've been very happy with some of the vintage comp plugins. I have access to an LA610, which is getting to be my favourite pre for bass recording, but I still find myself using digital comp after the fact.
  7. g4string

Drummer is our recording goto guy. His recommendation was to go in with slight comp....2:1 or 4:1. The squash more if needed. His approach doesn't make it gospel. Although, I can somewhat see where he is coming from. I always though naked as possible going in, add clothes later. That method has its advantages/disadvantages. I think for bass, a mix of DI and micd amp is prob the best way. Add comp afterwards and mix/eq to taste.