1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Crossover Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vipersassasin, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

Does anyone use Multi-band compression? If so, what rackmount unit's do you use and how do you "unify" them after the compression. The band I am in is getting ready to go on tour within the next year and i am wanting a rig that has stereo compression that you can control the low-end and high-end compression values and then "unify" them so you have a single signal to run to an amp... I was looking at something like the DBX series but not sure if they carry something like that.

2. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

3. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

Can you buy these new anymore or do you just have to find them used and hope they will last for a while?

4. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

That is pretty nice! I am looking for a rackmount unit though.

7. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

I use a Rane DC 24, love it.

8. trevcda

trevcda

It's a little long in the tooth, but I use a DBX DDP. It's self contained. I use it to adjust dynamics on two different frequency bands on drums when I'm using over-head mics only (with a kick mic) to keep the cymbals from overpowering the toms. I'm sure there must be a more current version of it, like a Drawmer 1961, but that may be more than you want to spend.

9. eddododo

eddododo

+1 for the rane DC24... the only disadvantage I ever found was that it was rack mounted!

10. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

And another vote for the Rane DC24. I love mine.

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

If space isn't an issue and you like tweaking to then nth degree, you might want to build your own modular multi band compressor a la Billy Sheehan.

You could split your signal with a splitter, run both signals through an eq tailored to your liking then both through a compressor of your choice - perhaps a dual channel ashley than either mix back to one signal, or keep as separate signals straight to the board or 2 amps.

This gives your more control over the crossover frequencies than a single crossover knob. I do a more basic version with stomp boxes from the 2 outputs on my attitude bass. I have one signal (my treble signal) with little to no low end and lots of mid range, and flat high end. The other (my bass signal), more or less flat, with a low end boost and slight mid cut. Much more control than a simple high and low split.

12. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

Thanks guys, I have some thinking to do but I will probably go with the fealabs pedal...

13. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member