1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

crown bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Dec 22, 2012.

1. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

anyone ever hear of this brand? i saw a "crown bass guitar" on my local cl. it is a les paul style bass. anyone know if these are playable or collectible? it looks cool, but seller did not name a price and i don't know anything about them. i wondered if they are 70's japan knock offs?

2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

uhhh.....is this thing on? seriously? nobody?

3. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

In the '60s I used to see "Crown" beatle bass knock offs. I expect they were made in Japan and weren't anything to write home about as I recall but I haven't seen one in years. The one your talking about is probably by a whole different company and much newer.

4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Crown was a cheap import brand during the 1960s. Made in Japan. They weren't as good as Matsumoku guitars.

7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

are they generally worth 2 or 3 hundred bucks? just as back ups or fun projects? i realize that's a really general question, just looking for a really general answer!

8. GM60466

GM60466

crown was a lower Cortez back in the late '60s

9. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

Looking at the CL listing this one might be worth a hundred or so but only you can be the judge so go play it and figure out what it's worth to you. No one back in the '60s made a LP bass knock off that I can recall; I'm thinking this bass is possibly from the '80s but that's just a guess. The binding is cool.

10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

yeah, i thought it looked cool as hell, but haven't heard a response from the seller. we'll see.......thanks again!

11. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

I hope you get to check it out. Keep us posted.