1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

crown bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Dec 22, 2012.

1. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

anyone ever hear of this brand? i saw a "crown bass guitar" on my local cl. it is a les paul style bass. anyone know if these are playable or collectible? it looks cool, but seller did not name a price and i don't know anything about them. i wondered if they are 70's japan knock offs?
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

uhhh.....is this thing on? seriously? nobody?
  3. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

In the '60s I used to see "Crown" beatle bass knock offs. I expect they were made in Japan and weren't anything to write home about as I recall but I haven't seen one in years. The one your talking about is probably by a whole different company and much newer.
  4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

Crown was a cheap import brand during the 1960s. Made in Japan. They weren't as good as Matsumoku guitars.
  6. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

are they generally worth 2 or 3 hundred bucks? just as back ups or fun projects? i realize that's a really general question, just looking for a really general answer!
  7. GM60466

GM60466

crown was a lower Cortez back in the late '60s
  8. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

Looking at the CL listing this one might be worth a hundred or so but only you can be the judge so go play it and figure out what it's worth to you. No one back in the '60s made a LP bass knock off that I can recall; I'm thinking this bass is possibly from the '80s but that's just a guess. The binding is cool.
  9. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

yeah, i thought it looked cool as hell, but haven't heard a response from the seller. we'll see.......thanks again!
  10. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

I hope you get to check it out. Keep us posted.