1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crown Drivecore XLS 2500 vs. Yamaha P5000S?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Okay, I managed to sell off the majority of my lead-sleds in one fell-swoop...now I have to come up with two replacements by the middle of next week. Both the Crown and Yamaha are comparable in the price and power departments although the Crown offers more in terms of processing...which I don't think I really need. We're handling those functions via a dbx Driverack.

So, what's your take on the situation? I have to commit by tomorrow AM to get the ball rolling. Thanks for the consideration!

Riis
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I own the XLS-2500. That internal crossover feature is genius and it has plenty of power. And it's light.
  3. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

I have 2 of the Crown XLS 2500s, one for mains & one for subs,I'd say go with the Crowns. Your thinking right using the DBX for processing (I have the DBX PA+) it will work out great for you ! (besides the Crown only weights 11lbs)

Good Luck ! :D
  4. Zooberwerx

Dave, NNS...thanks for the input! No pun intended.

Just bought a 1500 for my bass rig; the 2500's will be used as stated above and powering a pair of Carvin 1503 (15" 3-ways) and el-cheapo Yorkville 18" subs.

NNS: How dow you have your mains and subs configured: dual mono, bridged, etc?

Riis
  5. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

I have 2 Yamaha SV115 Mains & 2 SW115V Subs. The subs I just upgraded the driver with Eminence Kappa Pro LF, now you can feel the bass as well as hearing it.:D

I run both amps bridged with no amp crossovers and adjust the DBX to the setting I want for crossovers and EQ.

You will probably want an additional amp for your subs. If you power all the speakers with the single amp, that will have the amp running at 2 Ohms, it can handle it but, you run the risk of overheating your amp.

My rack is a 12u X 12u with attaching side table
    Peavey 16FX mixer
    Furman power conditioner with lights
    DBX PA+
    1 Crown XLS 2000 for monitors
    1 Crown XLS 2500 for mains
    1 Crown XLS 2500 for the subs
    all the amps are in bridge mode for about 7000 watts :eek: :D
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

As you can't do PLX II's in that budget, either Crown or Yamaha would be fine choices. I might give the construction edge to Yamaha. Then again I've been a big fan of Crown for years. Lot's of those lower end units in use with folls here.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

power amps are starting to become "commodities", where watts are cheap, light, and reasonably reliable.
  8. Zooberwerx

Drivecore sensitivity is rated at 1.4 Vrms. Has this been an issue when paired with mixers, preamps, or other devices?

Riis
  9. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

No, you can adjust your DBX to the Drivecores sensitivity. There is a software update for most of the DBXs, just check the DBX web page for the download.
  10. Zooberwerx

Actually, I'm more concerned about the Drivecore 1500 going into my bass rig. 4 available preamps and one is an SVP-CL which is notorious for its inordinately low output. Not a deal killer, mind you.

Riis
  11. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

SVP CL Bass Preamp
    www.ampeg.com
    Technical Specifications
    TONE CONTROL RANGE
    ULTRA LOW: 1 = off; 2 = -3dB @ 30Hz; 3 = -3dB @ 200Hz; 4 = -20dB @ 600Hz; 5 = +9dB @ 30Hz
    ULTRA HIGH: +16dB @ 8kHz
    BRIGHT: +6dB @ 3kHz
    BASS: +17dB / -13dB @ 20Hz
    MID FREQ: +/-20dB @ 220Hz, 450Hz, 800Hz, 1.6kHz, or 3kHz
    TREBLE: +15dB / -20dB @ 7kHz
    GAIN 23dB
    SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO 80dB typical
    TUBE COMPLEMENT (2) 12AX7, (2) 12AU7
    POWER REQUIREMENTS 120VAC, 60Hz, 25VA
    100/120VAC, 50/60Hz, 25VA
    220-240VAC, 50/60Hz, 25VA
    SIZE (W x H x D) AND WEIGHT 19” W x 1.75” H x 9.25” D, 9 lbs.

Not knowing what your other preamps and cab is, I don't see it being a problem here.

If you don't like it for your rig,(I don't know why you wouldn't)
    use the 1500 in bridge mode for your mains then,
    use the 2500 for the subs !

Either way you win ! :bassist:
  12. Lindsay

Lindsay

I have no experience with the Yamahas but I have 4 XLS2500s. One for monitors, one for mains and two bridged mono for subs and they have never missed a beat.

I haven't had cause to use the DSP functions at a gig. I used to carry a spare crossover in my rack after having a speaker processor crap out on me a couple of times a few years ago but now I leave it at home.
  13. Zooberwerx

Found good deals on (2) DC 2500's. Just waiting for the invoice. I'm planning on running both in bridged mono for the mains and subs. Overkill in the power dept. but I know how to set gain structure accordingly, plus it gives me the latitude to upgrade speakers in the future.

Riis
  14. Zooberwerx

The 1500 showed up, boxed, cabled, and ready to go. One quick question...can't seem to locate the answer in the manual: When running in bridged mono, should both attenuators be set at the same level / position or is it necessary to to adjust the channel 1 attenuator only? Please hurry before I burn the house down.

Riis
  15. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

16. Zooberwerx

Thank you. Unit works like a charm...house remains intact. Given what I've witnessed so far, the 2500's will be a good choice.

Riis