1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

crown power amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by minor5th, Sep 22, 2006.

1. minor5th

minor5th

Has anyone ever used a crown digital power amp in a bass rig... ie the XTi series...

2. andrewd

andrewd

I've been using the XTi 2000 for a few months. I'm bridging it into a Schroeder 1210R, and rarely turn it much farther than halfway up. It has a lot of FOH-specific features I'll probably never use, but it does its job: makes lots of noise without weighing too much. :D

The new HiQNet System Architect firmware is finally available. Unfortunately, you need Windows to install it. No love for Mac users from Harman Audio unfortunately.

3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Yes and they kill with the right preamp

4. tom-g

tom-g

As far as I know the XTI is not class D.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

And even if it was, class D is not digital.

7. passive pickup

passive pickup

Yeah i use the xti1000 bridged into a fearful 12/6. I haven't played with the Hi Qnet software but it works well in it's basic mode.

8. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I have used an XTI 1002 and 2002 to drive a variety of cabs including fEARfuls, driven by a Demeter, Alembic or Yamaha preamp. The 1002 was a bit short on power for my needs, but the DSP functions are great. To take full advantage of the DSP, you need to program it through the USB port using the Harman software. I still have the 1002, I'm thinking about listing it in the classifieds.

9. tom-g

tom-g

Yeah, I know :)

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Hey, Tom-g

Are we long lost twins? Says the Brit with the ART Pro Channel, Crown XLS1000 and Barefaced Big One (15/6)

To the OP: Yes, and it sounds good

11. tom-g

tom-g

Seems like it, except the cab and I'm in Germany. On the ART, I changed tube 2 and 3 to NOS Phillips because the originals were microphonic.

Yes, the XLS (it's class D) works perfectly in my setup. I'm using it bridged into 8 ohms.

12. xring

xring

I run the XLS1500 using a BBE or Art Pro Channel. These Crowns like a hot signal. They sufficiently push the amp but I suspect the Peaveys would go louder. I use it either stereo into 2- 4ohm cabs, or bridged into one. Reliability and cool running are the norm with mine.

13. wabbit

wabbit

I'm presently using a Crown I-T5000 HD with an AxeFX II as the preamp and using the AES/EBU connection between the two to eliminate a DAC and ADC. The Crown is a monster and sounds amazing indeed.

IMHO, Crown is the way to go.

14. warnergt

warnergt

I use the Crown XLS 1500 almost every day. I drive it with the line out signal from my
    Bassman amp. I get (up to) 1500 watts of sweet, blissful Bassman tone.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And, when I'm done, the amp is as cool as can be. Amazing!

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

2006 called, they want their answer.