1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Crown XLS 402 with Tronographic Rusty Box

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Skinhorse, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Skinhorse

Skinhorse

Hello! I am looking for some advice on how to use a 'Tronographic Rusty box' pedal as a pre-amp with a Crown XLS 402.

I am a bass player and have just purchased a second hand Crown XLS 402. The idea was to use a 'Tronographic Rusty box' pedal as a pre-amp into the XLS 402 and use a single channels output to an Ampeg 4x10 (500w @4ohm).

As the XLS 402 only has XLR inputs, I am using a 1/4" jack to female XLR running from the Rusty Box's Line output into the XLS's 1st channel input.
    I have stripped down one end of an old Speakon cable and have exposed the black and red cables. I have attached the red and black bare wire to the binding posts of Channel 1's output.

I was hoping to use just one side of the stereo output, 450w @4ohm, to power my speaker cabinet. Is this possible or have I totally dropped the ball?

Has anyone else been successful with this type of setup?
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    With stereo power amps, each channel is a totally independent power amp, and there is no harm in using just one side.

3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I have a 402 running subwoofers on my home stereo system, and that thing's a bulletproof beast. As bongo pointed out, there's absolutely no harm in using one side.

The variable is the pedal. Bass guitars need very high impedance inputs, and don't work well with most home stereo pre-amps. If the pedal has its own preamp and isn't a pass-thru design, you should be in good shape. Either way, the worst that can happen is you get inadequate volume or poor sound quality, so there's no penalty in experimenting provided you always start with the gains down as you change settings, and work your way up slowly.

Good luck!

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

[DEL]You may wanna move this to the "Effects" forum. [/DEL] This is a good question, though. A single channel should be fine but you can always go the bridge route with the 402 if desired...but I see no need. As it stands, if you need a little more ooomph, I'd run a second cabinet from your spare amp channel.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Skinhorse

Skinhorse

Thanks for your help guys!