1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crown xls drivecore 1000 question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by chepo06, May 8, 2012.

1. chepo06

chepo06 Supporting Member

My question is to run it in bridge mode, do I have to make a 1/4" to a Y cable, or can I use just the channel 1 speakon cable?
  2. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

I believe the channel 1 Speakon output jack can be used for bridging.
  3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

4. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

This is correct. The amp will tie the inputs together for you. Use channel one for the insert.

Make the bridge cable. MARK THE AMP END. It's directional.
  5. uhdinator

uhdinator

IMO I think it's easier to use Banana plugs off the terminals
    + to channel 1 red - to channel 2 red, piggy back another banana into the first one. Radio shack has beefy banana plugs, all you need is a a screwdriver.
    When the DSP is set to bridge it will internally do what it needs. Just plug into channel 1, turn up channel one, leave channel 2 volume off.

Should be in the manual as well.
  6. warnergt

warnergt

7. chepo06

chepo06 Supporting Member

Hey y'all what I ended up doing is I set the amp to bridge mode. I had to use one of those speakon to 1/4 " adapters cuz I forgot my 610 Mesa is older and dosent have speakon connectors. Seems to be working.
  8. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

I don't knpw what you got going on because I'm sure they make all kinds of adaptors but. your "standard" speakon > 1/4" is not going to get you where you need to be.

It's not that difficult. Amp end is 1+ 2+ the cab end is 1+ 1-

The hardest thing about the job is being able to see those minuscule little markings by the screws
  9. steveksux

steveksux

Might as well take it out of bridge mode if you do that. You're only running on 1 channel at this point.

The advice about the rewired 4 pole speakon connector is correct. Or just get a banana to 1/4 " cable if 1/4 is all you have on the speaker.

Randy
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    For a cab with 1/4 jacks I'd just do a banana to 1/4". That's how I ran mine.
  11. Mandobass

Mandobass

I'm interested in this setup. So for bridge mode with banana plugs and 1/4" on the cab - how would this be run?

I was looking at this cable:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musicians-G...bles_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item20cd0bc1d0

Do I simply go from channel 1 output on the amp to cab and then set the amp to bridge mode? Or do I need to have another banana jack plugged into channel 2 output? If so, how is that setup?

Thanks for the help

Edit:

Found the manual online : http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/amps/142169-1_XLS3_MultilingualManual_032410.pdf which shows how this can be done
  12. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

13. steveksux

steveksux

That's a big NO.

You need to have a specially wired speakon adapter to get the bridged output. If you use a regular speakon in channel 1 you only get channel 1 output, along with having channel 2 getting the same signal, producing the same output, without any load..

Randy
  14. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

sooo an NL4 to 1/4"....its nothing specifcally wired about it....may i add that most of these adaptors are...
  15. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

16. uhdinator

uhdinator

Easiest way is if unsure if Speakon is a 4 conductor and wired correctly, is to unscrew it and open it up. Unscrew the wire connectors and remove the wires.

Unscrew the terminals on the amp and insert bare wires in the terminal side holes and screw them down tight.

The picture on the amp terminals shows you how to connect bridged mode.
    White wire=positive goes to ch 1 +red post
    Black wire=negative goes to ch 2+red post

Unscrew 1/4 end if you need to check.
    tip=positive/usually white
    Sleeve=neg/usually black.

Buy a $6 banana plug if you don't wanna spend more for a NL4 speakon and have to use 2 different cables if you need to switch modes or use the cable for something else.

NL4 speakon has +1, -1, +2,-2 connectors inside. +1,-1 are used if its wired for regular uses. +1,+2 are wired if its for bridge mode. So a standard speaker cable that only has NL2 Speakon connectors will not work for amps that use an NL4 Speakon for bridge mode.

If you look into the end of the Speakon you can tell if there are 2 or 4 conductors.
    Some cables were/are made with NL4 but it is no guarantee its wired right for bridge mode. If it has 4 wires it was made to work for either mode.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Banana no bueno. Pull out easy, shock hazard.
  18. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    It's no sweat to take a conventional cable with a Speakon[SUP]®[/SUP] NL4 to quarter-inch and convert it for bridged use. Leave the quarter-inch alone. Open up the Speakon[SUP]®[/SUP], which will be set with the wires going to 1+/1-. Just undo the wire going into the 1- terminal and put it in the 2+ terminal. QED.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Normally, yes. But...

on the Crown it's not easy to pull out the banana cable... it inserts vertically into the back panel. It can't be inserted horizontally.

[​IMG]

You'd pull the amp down before you could pull the banana cable out. I used mine like this with no problems.
  20. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Banana no bueno. Pull amp down, crash on floor.