1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Crown XTi2002 pairing with Mesa Boogie Powerhouse

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AL!EN BA$$, Apr 8, 2014.

1. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

I currently have a Crown XTi 2002 ran bridged into two Schroeder 212 PL 1,000 watts each. Could I pair the amp up with any bad ass Mesa Powerhouse cabs. Say the PH 1000 4x10" + 15" or the PH 4x12". I see they don't offer an amp that has the power handling some of the cabinets can take. Or would I be better off going with a M9 Carbine or a Strategy? Would be killer if I could make one amp work for two cabinets and essentially two bands.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You'd want to run stereo with mixed cabs.

3. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

Not what I asked at all...? I want one big Mesa cab to run off of my Crown XTi 2002. Where would stereo come into play there? Lol

4. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

I meant I want the crown to run my existing Schroeder 4x12, which it does beautifully, and wondering which big Mesa rig it would push with no problem. Either the 4x12 or their PH1000. Trying to avoid buying another amp so I can leave each cabinet with each band and just swap the power section..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would avoid their PH1000 or PH1200. Engineering by looks.

7. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

I have tried them at a local music store and liked what I heard? Can I get a positive post or you all just gonna bash Mesa lol

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    They make a couple fine cabs. PH412, PH810, PH610, PH215.

The PH1000 and PH1200 are not among their best offerings. If you play the cabs side by side, it is pretty evident that the cabs that dont mix drivers sound a lot more coherent.

9. StraightSix

StraightSix

Get the Mesa PH412 or, for a different flavour from your existing 412 rig, the PH215 - they are much better cabs than the PH1000 or PH1200.

10. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

I've had bad luck with 2x15 and not being able to hear myself in the past. That's why I am selling my fEARful 15/6 and 15sub

11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I hate to tell you, if you cant hear yourself with that stack, the Mesa cabs are not going to replace them in volume. If it is a tone issue, then it is going to follow you to those cabs as well. They are not going to be as mid present, and you will get lost in the mix even more.

I would straighten out your possible tone concern then address which cab meets your needs best after that.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you do a search on the PH1000 you will find lots of "I've blown my 15" type of posts. As CL posted it is indeed engineering by looks and not by science.

13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I pretty much have to agree with this. I'd re-evaluate your role in the band from a tonal standpoint. I'm having a hard time thinking of a normal use where the fEarful's would fall that short. The only thing that springs to mind immediately is having lows boosted very high (which the fEarfuls are one in a very elite class of few that can handle!) which is putting you way under the mix, hard to hear and causing a muddy mess, or not near enough power into the cabs (which I can't imagine being true with the Crown).

The PH1000 and PH1200 are OK cabs. Yes, they work. Budget in replacing that 15 though.

14. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

Well the 2 Schroeder 2x12's as opposed to the fEARful stack did the trick so why not try the Mesa 4x12?! Would the XTi work with that cab?

15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    The PH412? Yeah, it would. Your crown will be able to toast it if you're not using your ears and listening for distress. I suggest reading through the FAQ section, specifically in regards to power handling:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/

Schroeder's are nortoriously mid heavy cabs, which will help you "cut through" the mix, as people here like to put it. The fEarful is much more balanced.

Just because your Crown can bridge and put out a max of 2000W at 4 ohm doesn't mean it is continously putting that much power to the ground. Things have volume knobs for a reason ;). Just be careful while you're feeling things out and seeing how far you can push the cab(s) you end up with. It's likely that the mechanical limit is less than half the thermal limit - the thermal limit is the one plastered everywhere.

Edit: Of considerable note, too, is that all 15s, 12s, 10s, 8s, 5s don't sound the same. The 15s in the fEarful design didn't work for you. That same speaker 15" in a different cab, or a different cab with a different speaker may be something you like. This is where we were talking about "engineering by looks". Somehow, it got started that 15s are "low" speakers and 10s are "mid/high" speakers. Which is entirely not true.

16. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Those Schroeders are mid range cannons. They dont have much bass to them at all. They probably balance out your EQ issue. The Mesa will not have the same level of mids, and will have more low end to it. It will be closer to your fEARful stack tonally, than to your schroeders.

18. AL!EN BA$$

AL!EN BA$$

I could totally get another Schroeder, but to be perfectly honest, the build on them isn't too rugged or road friendly. There is absolutely NO cross bracing support and the grill I got is basically thick gauge chicken wire. That being said I amin love with the current 2 2x12" I have but could use something a little more rugged. I am thinking hard in the Mesa PH 4X12" I have been a fan of 12" since day one. The first cab I bought was a Hartke Pro 2200, a 2x12" cab with the top driver angled, or slanted back, toward your ear. So really would be keep to sticking with the 12's

Attached Files: