Cry for the lefty!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leftybass51, Feb 12, 2014.

1. leftybass51

leftybass51

Us poor left handed people, we are said to use are right side of are brain more which has the creative and artistic side but yet there is 4 guitars on the wall at guitar center out of 300, and 1 bass and its an ibanez soundgear 200 or something. Must we all Jimi Hendrix out?? Turn guitars upside down and have knobs and switches in the way?? change nuts and drill holes the first day you wanna put a strap on. I used to have to fight for the only left handed pair of scissors in art class, thought I couldnt play a drum set till i flipped it around made sure I at on the left of everyone when eating to not bump elbows..... Right handed people have it sooooooo good.

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

I'm very left handed but I play right handed basses the same way right handers do. It just felt natural that way when I picked up guitar as a kid.

3. joel406

joel406

Lefties are some of the most fluid and dynamic players out there. I'm a right handed player and I still just can't wrap my head around how smooth Paul McCartney plays. I don't think many players are as well versed and melodic as he is. Geddy Lee is pretty good too. That being said I do know what you mean about a lack of choice when it comes to left handed instruments. Most of the small shops around here don't even stock them. And GC only had one squire bass in stock last time I was there. Even online vendors don't really seem to stock that much.

Sorry dude. I feel for ya....

4. M0ses

M0ses

Holy crap 4 in one store? That is a world record. What are you complaining about.

And joel....Geddy is right handed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I had a guitar player like that too. I played with him for years before I ever saw him pick up a pen, and when I did, I was shocked.

7. joel406

joel406

And joel....Geddy is right handed.[/QUOTE]

I am aware.

8. M0ses

M0ses

Ok lol guess I'm just confused as to why he came up in a discussion about lefties.

9. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

I sympathize, indeed I do... Some of the best basses I own came to me by way of tip from a good friend who is left handed. Gods bless the Southpaws!

10. groundhog

groundhog

Im a righty that plays lefty better. I have no clue why but I am trying to force my self to play righty.

11. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

There's no shortage of left handed instruments out there. We just have to look beyond local shops since they don't stock many lefties.

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I know what you're trying to say, but I have to differ. Depends what you want; sometimes yes; sometimes no. For instance:
    -Gretsch basses? No (although I have one, and there's supposed to be another one around somewhere, but for all practical purposes, no)
    -Mosrite basses? No (and anything made by Ed Roman doesn't count, anyway).
    -Ovation basses? No
    -Ampeg basses? only 1 scroll bass known to exist; they made 3 Devil basses, but 2 are unaccounted for; no Short Scale basses. Again, for you and me? No
    -Fender Short Scale basses? No
    -Epiphone basses? No
    -Almost any "vintage" European bass you can think of? No

Shall I go on? Like I said, depends on what you want. I'm 62, and I've spent a lifetime looking for lefty basses. I have a fair idea what's out there, and what's not. Still looking, too; you never know..:D

13. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Oversimplified, and discredited. Current research shows that both sides of the brain are responsible for logic and for creative impulses. Our brains are so much more complex than people give them credit for being.

But I do sympathise with the plight that you are airing. It's practically a running subplot in K-ON! (Mio is a lefty bassist).

14. Bart277

Bart277

I share your pain

15. polymad

polymad

Hi guys! I'm a lefty and trying to sell 4 nice basses: Warwick, roscoe and 2 manne's. Will be visiting NYC in April and so if you are interested in buying one of these, will bring it along :) I've posted a link within the classified's basses for sale internationally section and so check it out!

16. Matt R.

I realize. I didn't say there weren't fewer options, I was saying there's no shortage of lefties. There's still a lot to choose from, just not as much as there is for righties. ;)

17. M0ses

M0ses

It certainly seems like a shortage, especially if you hang around here and get exposed to how much is really out there for normal people.

Tell me where to get an unlined fretless for less than two grand.
    Warmoth is the only place I know.

18. Matt R.

19. M0ses

M0ses

I think it's pretty safe to say that right handed bass players are the norm and left handed bass players are not.

20. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I am 45 now been playing since I was 13 yes in the beginning it was difficult to find lefty basses. But now or even the last 10 years if you are willing to consider used and look around on eBay and left sites there are plenty of options. I have owned and still have many of the following… 20+ lefty Warwicks, 10+ lefty Euro Spectors, 5+ lefty Fenders, Zon, Roscoe, Lakland, Lull, Modulus, Ibanez, FBass, MusicMan, G&L, and I see Sadowsky, Alembic, Nordstrand, Valenti, Carvin, MBass and Status all the time. Just search there are Lefty guys I know buying and selling all the time. Maybe you want a Porsche at a Hyundai price that may be an issue but there is no shortage of lefty basses in all flavors around.
    There was an insane unlined lefty Status 4 string on eBay for weeks and weeks with a 1600 starting bid. If you can’t find one you’re looking for you either aren’t looking hard enough or maybe lazy. I know there are certain basses and models not available but there are enough in droves at every price point it shouldn’t be an issue.

http://www.leftybassist.com/
    http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_bass.htm
    http://www.leftybass.com/e_start.htm

I am in the process of building a shop at my house to build basses and just for fun I thought I would charge a 15% up-charge for right handed basses for fun since I have been on the wrong end of that stick for too long.:)

21. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Sorry; still have to say there's a shortage of leftys - new leftys - available. Most of Means2nEnd's examples are custom/boutique basses (and I have an Alembic, and a Carvin, too), not something that just anyone can afford. Yes, you can get a Fender; as long as it's a Jazz or a P-Bass. Any other model? No. Several companies offer one or two models in a lefty, but not all; and that, to me, is what defines "shortage". Here's another example. You can get most Hagstrom basses in a lefty; just be happy with the one finish you can get, while a righty has 4 to choose from. A lefty can have any color an Ibanez Mikrobass comes in, as long as it's black. That's another "shortage" in my book. Yes, there are many 'mass production' companies that make leftys; my point is that, if they do, few of them offer the entire product range, or the options that are available to rightys. But a lot of companies don't offer new leftys at all. If a company has a lefty something that makes you happy - Great! I'm happy for you. But, like I said, it depends what you're looking for. :)