cryptolocker

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yodedude2, Nov 8, 2013.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

One to keep an eye on. It's fairly new so hopefully the anti-virus and anti-malware companies nail it down sooner rather than later.

I've had a harddrive fail in the past so have long been in the habit of keeping a seperate backup of irreplacable files, but still, can't imagine many people doing that!

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

We got hit with it a few weeks ago. I completely locked up all Word, excel, ACAD, and other files. (Oddly it left Access alone.) The scariest part was that we paid the ransom, and then had to completely drop our pants in order to let the criminals decrypt everything. The decryption seemed to work just fine, but for about a day, they had complete access to our servers as they decrypted them.

I have no idea if they did anything else while they were in there.

4. paste

paste Banned

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

"When a user opens such a message, CryptoLocker installs itself on the user's system, scans the hard drive, and encrypts certain file types, such as images, documents and spreadsheets."

You have to run a file to get this virus to install on your system, do you not? You have to download something...You cannot get a virus by simply opening a message, can you? Even if it is HTML? Would you have to set all your emails to open in text format only to be sure?

7. paste

paste Banned

I'm not sure what your quoting but the quote you quoted says nothing about having to run/download anything to get cryptolocker. Anyways, the answer to your question is no, you can simply get this by opening sketchy websites, like I did. :oops:

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I don't believe that's true. Usually anything like that needs permission to write to your drive, perhaps download manually, or clicking a button giving permission for it to do so.

9. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Yes. This, among any thousands of other reasons is why you need to make regular backups to a hard drive that you then keep offline after the backup is made. That way if some of these files get encrypted, you can clean your machine of the infection and restore files from your backup.

Online backups are good, but should be used in conjunction with offline backups, as infected files could be backed up to the internet-hosted backup service as well.

10. yodedude2

this seems like very good advice.

11. yodedude2

my human memory must have a virus. i remember that thread now. sorry for the repeat y'all.

12. electracoyote

electracoyote

I don't think opening the e-mail message is enough to get the virus. You have to take the additional step of clicking on a link.

These things have been going around for awhile now, usually under the guise of a malware/spamware program.

Don't invite the vampire into your house and he can't enter. Click with care.

13. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

That was a fake version of it, or you were lucky not to have any files it wanted to encrypt. Removing the infection is easy, anything it encrypts is lost unless you pay the ransom.

Some copy-cats show an identical screen to try and scam you but don't actually encrypt anything.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not only do you want to follow some of the great advice already listed, but I would add to make sure your operating system and all third party applications are up to date with patches from the vendor.

Drive-by malware is also out there floating around. You don't need to click on or install anything to be infected. Your computer becomes infected just by visiting a compromised website that then injects malware onto your system via an unpatched vulnerability in your OS or another third party app. The website can be completely legitimate, but if hackers have compromised just one section of the site, you risk infection.

For this reason, I would also suggest making sure you are using a secure browser when surfing the internet. That will be your first line of defense from these attacks.

-Mike

15. paste

paste Banned

Yeah I think you can only get the real one by giving it permission. On the other hand, you can definitely get the fake one (like I did) by opening sketchy websites.