1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

CTS has forced me to stop playing for awhile...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joebar, Apr 1, 2014.

1. joebar

joebar

in the past I have given reports on my previous carpal tunnel surgeries on both of my hands last year. I have been suffering with the symptoms of CTS for about 3 or 4 years. i got both hands operated on and a year later, I sense all of the symptoms coming back. I finally had to stop working last week and rest. i told my employer I cannot continue in my line of work.
    I am a tradesman and only 43 years old; along with the CTS, I have bad tendonitis in both my arms which may or may not be related to the CTS. the synergy of the two issues pretty much dominates my psyche.
    I had no choice but to quit my band last week as well due to the struggle of getting thru a practice.

I see my doctor on Wednesday and I will see what he suggests-I am going to recommend worksafe reopening my case. they considered my operations a success and sent me back to work after 10 weeks but I have never fully healed from them and still am not 100% with my strength or abilities.

it took a lot for me to get to this point of stopping work; I am not a quitter and stubborn somewhat. my quality of life just isn't there and I decided to put ME first for a change. not sure what comes next but I do know that physical labor is out for good.

I am tired of my life consisting of massaging my arms/ hands, acupuncture, pills that don't work, ice, and generally unable to do much of anything.

anyways, I am preparing for the worst case scenario and need to get my ducks in a row financially in case I am out of the work force for awhile. a change in direction career-wise will probably bring less income; at least for awhile which is reality.

I guess when you get older, you start to reflect on things you have done. what a helpless feeling it is to be unable to do activities that you once could do at a whim without a second thought.

just thought I would throw this out there -I am sure I am not the only one here that has these issues.

my advice to bassists would be this: be aware of your hands and do not ignore pain/ discomfort because it could be a serious thing. my denial and stubbornness cause significant damage in my hands which may not reverse.

I put my basses away in their cases-it took awhile to come to terms with the fact that I cant play them at least right now.

the things we all take for granted...

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Really sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully the doctor can come up with a recovery plan that will have you painless again. I was 46 when I was hit on my motorcycle, broke my femur, foot and dislocated my shoulder and wrist, took 3 surgeries on my leg and a good year to heal. I have a 40% disability in my leg. I was lucky in most of my job was Internet based so I was able to work, just a little awkward with my left wrist in a partial cast.

I honestly hope your case will be reopened and you will get the treatment needed to get you back pain free and able to work and play again.

3. joebar

joebar

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow about this matter.
    I am starting to think that maybe-just maybe-that the carpal tunnel itself might be the cause for all the pain and discomfort in my hands. to this day, I can feel the weakness in my wrists as if they haven't healed up yet.
    it is my understanding that the carpal tunnel is also a major stabilizer in hand strength.

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I wasn't clear on whether you had the CTS surgery or not. If not, I'd be thinking about it very soon. I had CT in both hands and put the surgery off until I couldn't stand the pain anymore. Total cure with the surgery. That's been over 15 years ago. No problems. If you go with the surgery, make sure that you get a neurosurgeon and not an orthopedic. Major difference for this.

I was down for a month or so bass wise. If you need more from my experiences, I'll be glad to share. Good luck. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jstar

jstar

I'm really sorry to hear this. I also have real bad problems with my joints and wrists, knees -- everything really. Some days it hurts so badly I can't move my thumb at all. I am also 43 and work as a tradesman quite a bit so I know how hard it is. I find it really embarrassing sometimes when I grab a tool and drop it instantly because it feels like someone stuck a knife up my ulna. Mostly it feels upsetting when I can't play guitar or bass. Anyway I wish you the best, and I'll be seeking some help from my doctors this year, because I finally have insurance through the ACA.