CTS Pots fitment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty G String, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

I just received new 500k cts pots to put in my Fender jazz with dp123 pups. The pots come with one star locking washer, a trim washer, and a nut. But there is a tab that sticks up and hits the bottom of the control plate unless I stack washers. Shouldn't these pots come with another nut or more washers? Can I just grind that tab off? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392572348.716302.jpg

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    The tab is made for an index hole, which basses don't have. You can break it off with pliers or grind it off.

3. line6man

line6man

As stated, you are supposed to break/grind off the tab when mounting pots without an index hole. Tabs made from cast metal usually pop right off when you give them a tweak with a pair of needlenose pliers. Tabs made from sheet metal, however, need to be bent to the side, or ground.

Concerning washers and nuts, I have always found it frustrating that most pots only come with one nut, when you need two in order to adjust the height properly. Depending on the thickness of the material the pot will be mounted to, it is sometimes acceptable to just use one nut, one washer, and one lock washer. The pot just sticks up a bit high.

4. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

That's what I was looking for. I didn't know if that tab would break off or even if it was supposed to. Thanks guys.

5. Register to disable this ad