1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Curbow Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 19, 2005.

1. timidbassist

timidbassist

Well i used to be a huge Journey fan, so i had to figure out what Ross Valory used for a bass because i loved it and since he was the bassist of my favorite band i just wanted to know (didnt hurt that its a very cool looking bass) but i finally found out he uses a Curbow International Petite. I never had heard of Curbow before the person on the Journey forum told me, i checked out Greag Curbows site and really liked a lot of his basses. I have no come to like a lot of other custom made basses though as well such as Sadowsky and Ritter. Does anyone have a Curbow, or has anyone played one? What type of sound do you get out of one compared to say a Sadowsky 24/5? Just interested, i still havent completely gotten over my attraction to the Intl Petite!

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

Ross Valory is a very good friend of mine and I turned him onto Curbow basses several years ago while I was working for Greg Curbow!

I have owned lots of high-end basses,but to me,Greg Curbow is making the best basses in the world!

Most people think that the Cort Curbows are the real thing,but they are not,they were only designed by Greg.You can't compare the Corts to Gregs basses,they are not even close.

By-the-way,I currently own seven of them!!

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Man, one of these days I'll have a Curbow 6 made. I only got to play one once and it blew me away. The playability is unmatched. The notes just pop off of the fingerboard. Amazing basses for sure.

My favorite player that plays Curbows is Skuli Sverrison. Check him out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. -Timothy-

-Timothy- Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Uni•Sound
    Seems I've missed some Curbow threads these days. :bawl: I currently own a Curbow International Exotic Petite 6 string bass, it is Rockwood model, both body and neck are made of Rockwood, The tone is killer, and I really like the flat neck and wide fret board so much! but the bass is so heavy!!!! any Curbow bass users feel that too?! My favorite Curbow player is Adam Nitti!

If you feel interest in my Curbow bass sound and look, you can check out my other thread. Although the sound quality is not good from the video and mixing.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161052

7. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

I have a Jazz-style bass that Greg made special for me and it's awesome. Rockwood necks are the best. In regards to the International Exotic Petite, I've played bassmonkeee's, as well as a couple at Greg's shop, and they're all killer. They just feel great and have a lot of tonal flexibility.
    Here's my Jazz..
    http://www.curbow.com/store/gallerypages/SiffBass/index.htm

8. cetera

cetera

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Used to be?!? :eyebrow: :) Journey are STILL great!! :bassist:

Ross is a great bassist, very tasteful and comes up with some great melodic lines.... you have good taste! :hyper:

Those Curbows are lovely but I've never had the chance to try one over here in England.... maybe one day!

Don't Stop Believin! :hyper:

9. jvbjr

jvbjr

A decade ago Curbow made a huge splash and they seemed to be all over and the bass dejour. I have not seen or heard much about the brand in the past five years however. I am right outside of NYC so I have played many Curbows at Rudy's on 48th street, all were very nice pieces. My friend wanted to get one, but at 6'4" and 300lbs it looked like a kids toy on him so he went with a Ken Smith instead.

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

The all-Rockwood bass you have is heavier than most Curbows. My old carved-top Petite 5 was on the heavy side, too, but not as heavy as that one. On the other hand, my XT-33 is not bad at all, and my first (flat topped) Petite 5 was fairly light. I'm very curious what the weight will be like on my semi-hollow 6 when it gets finished. As long as it plays as well as that Rockwood 6, though, I'll be happy! :hyper:

Nice playing on that video, by the way!

Mike

PS: Skuli is one of my favorite players, too. I just love his work with Pachora...

11. timidbassist

timidbassist

Haha, thanks for the great info, Curbows seem to be a lot more popular than i origianly thought. Ok so next question, what do you think would be a better sounding bass for rock music? I am looking into Curbows and Sadowskys. I have heard some people say that Curbows arent the best choice for heavy music. Is this true? I am still a 16 year old bassist but have 5 years expereince getting really serious about it so i want good equipment. My band sounds most like Alter Bridge/Creed, which one would have a better sound for my music or would they be about the same?
    Thanks in advance.

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

I'd say that you'll have a much easier time finding a Sadowsky than a Curbow, and that you really need to try a Curbow to know if it's right for you.

Your band's style doesn't necessarily dictate the type of tone you prefer, but if you're going for something along the lines of the sound the Creed/Alterbridge bass player is getting, that's pretty much a Fender-type sound, and you're more likely to get that with a Sadowsky. I wouldn't limit my choices to just those two basses, though--there's lots of great stuff out there, especially once you get up into that price range.

Mike

13. timidbassist

timidbassist

Awesome, thanks for all the input!

14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

I'll give a good word for the real deal as well. When I was shopping for my high end fretless five'r back in 1994, the curbow's were the runners up. In retrospect, I regret not getting one cause they are so unique and have since tripled in price. Very snazzy basses indeed.

BTW, I played the cort version hoping it would be comparable, and not only was it not close, IMO it was absolute trash. No respnse, awful tone and balance, etc. Was highly disappointed.

15. timidbassist

timidbassist

If you say runner up, what did you take in its place?

I am now looking at Roscoes too! :D They are great

16. justBrian

justBrian

I just got my Curbow Exotic Petite 5 from Thedeadking. I love it. It's small, it's light, it's beautiful and the tone is awesome. The guys in my combo were blown away by it.

BTW, I got a call from Greg Curbow (the owner!) Friday after I sent in a email with a few questions. Very cool. I'll be getting a hard case from him soon. This is the best bass I have ever owned.