1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Curious about graphite/epoxy wrapping of wooden neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rocmonster, Dec 31, 2012.

1. rocmonster

rocmonster

... if they are even built this way or not. OR - casting a graphite/epoxy neck from a mold.

Can someone point me to a good source online?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
  2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

3. TheJoshinator

TheJoshinator

I seem to remember hearing about bass necks that were wrapped inside a carbon-fiber tube for strength, with a fingerboard glued on top. The general idea is that you slip the tube over the already-shaped neck and wet it out with epoxy, put some heat-shrink tubing over it, point a heat gun at it and pull on the ends to shrink the carbon-fiber tube around the neck.

I know you can buy the carbon biaxial sleeve and matching heat-shrink tubing at Soller Composites. Fibreglast has the sleeves, but they're a bit more expensive and I don't know if they have the heat-shrink tubing.

Also, not sure about homemade solid-graphite necks, but I've heard of people buying them.
  4. rocmonster

rocmonster

5. MPU

MPU

Parker makes cf skinned basses too. Check my previous thread too. There's wood and cf/epoxy in it too.