Curious about this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Dec 25, 2013.

1. pica

pica

2. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Midnight Wine. Pretty standard color. I had an 07/08 just like it. Loved it.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've seen that one for a while too.

Depending upon results of a personal inspection, the price seems ok.
  4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

yeah that was a standard color for awhile i believe. id get it if i was in need of a jazz and it was a decent player
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Standard color that is best known on MIM instruments. Used on MIA in the late 90's
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have a 2011 MIA Jazz Deluxe in this same color. It is a standard Fender color but was not used as much as some of the others.
  8. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

If it's in good-excellent condition, and the case is included, it's an excellent price. In fair-good condition, a pretty standard price. Can't really tell which, from the pix, and he's not providing any info.

This one is an MIM, in case you weren't sure.
  9. pica

pica

I do plan to go look at it. Would be a nice bass to add to my small but growing collection.
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The color is a lot nicer than is represented in that CL picture. I think it's one of the best Fender colors.
  11. pica

pica

I really don't need this bass but I'm thinking of just getting it for color and price alone. Any thoughts?
  12. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Pica, my Midnight Wine MIM Jazz was dead mint, when I got it. I paid $400 for it, w/o case, and never regretted it, for a minute. Mine was an '07/08 with a MIA pickup in the neck position, and excellent in fit and finish, if that helps, any...

Midnight Wine is a totally gorgeous color. But, condition is key. Could be worth $200. Could be worth $400. And if a case is included, that might be worth something, too. I had to buy my case, separately. A decent G&G case is worth about $100 - maybe, as much as $150 brand new. A generic maybe $50. A beater or gig bag, little or nothing - unless it's a really nice gig bag.

You need to take all that into account, and make an offer based on what you're actually looking at, and how it feels in your hands, and how it sounds...

It's going to be hard for anyone to advise you on all of that.
  13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

You might be sorry you asked if there were any thoughts ... ;) ... I like helping young people out ...

it should be pretty safe purchase ... meaning if neck/truss rod have no issues and everything is stock and in working order you should easily be able to recoup your investment should you decide to move it along ... if you sell and ship, you could end up a bit in the negative $$, but having two basses the same (your FSR) can be very beneficial when it comes to things like string testing ...

I am unable to read the serial # for date on it, so just be careful if it is pre '02 with the short bridge pup, just something to be aware of since you have the FSR and your objective is to have the same you would want them both to have the 58294/5 set of pups ...

another alternative, would be to pass on this and watch for something like a Classic Series 60's Jazz, so you could evaluate something with a set of alnico pickups against your FSR with ceramic pups ... I have seen Classic Series 60's go very cheap (sub $400) on a couple occassions ... or you may want to test out a similar P to see how that fits you

the other thing to be aware of, is with MIM Standards, you can get some really HEAVY basses ... especially Jazzes ... not sure what your FSR runs, but I have had some of the regular MIM Standards that were over 10+ pounds ... the FSR's I have had were all at or just under 9# ...

Seeing this is on CL, you have the benefit of having in hand to evaluate though ... I dont see any downside to it based on that alone ... early MIM Standard J's can have maxed truss rods, so bring your wrench (3/16") and after seeing that neck relief is not excessive, LOOSEN the rod slightly to make sure it is free/working ... as you bring it back up to where it was, you will get a sense if it is maxed or if there is a little more their ... do not go beyond where it was without 'supporting' it by hand or loosening strings though, remember, you dont own it yet ;) ...

good luck!!
  14. pica

pica

The owner said it was a 2000. Said it was in really good shape.
  15. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Yep, midnight wine. Same as my FrankenP
    [​IMG]
  16. pica

pica

Unless I'm colorblind, your bass looks red. The one on CL looks more purple.
  17. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

It's actually kind of maroon-ish, ya know, lighting and all, I've taken pics where it looks pink. Maybe the color will come across better with this pic.
    [​IMG]
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Well, get the serial # ... I have very little trust in what people 'tell me' about dating their piece ... especially on MIM Standard Jazzes between 2000/2002, some significant changes took place in that range
  19. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

I had a MIA 1999 Midnight Wine P-Bass that was one of the best basses I ever owned. The color is a nice, deep almost maroon color.
  20. pica

pica

Okay so what other color pickguard would look good with this bass besides white. Just don't like white pickguards.
  21. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Pica, I live not too far from you. I bought a Midnight Wine MIM Fender Jazz V here for $160. It was in immaculate condition- no sign of use even on the pickguard! Same color as yours- think burgundy and you'll have an idea of the color. Mine was a 2007. I've seen that bass you're looking at in CL, it's been there for some time. It does makes me wonder why it hasn't sold yet being that most in your area are going for 350-400. Definitely check the neck and make sure all is good.
    In terms of a pickguard-----------GOLD!! or Silver Chrome.