1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

CURIOUS E-MAIL FROM PAY-PAL!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pacojas, Dec 3, 2013.

1. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

here is an excerpt of an e-mail i just received from PP. i'm wondering if this is a corporate ploy to gain more private info from clients. if you know more than i do, please chime in!
    thanks,:)

Hello

security measure, we regularly screen activity in the system.

You received this message due to an issue on your account.

Due to unusual number of invalid login attempts on your account, we have reason to believe there might be security breach on your account. Your account requires extra verification process to ensure your identity under Your Account.

they are asking me to provide a phone number that is linked to a separate PIN for log-in. :confused:
  2. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

As with any potential phishing email, clear your history/cashe, type the url directly, see if anything odd is going on.

Never click through a message asking for anything. Like this link for instance, do not click on it.
  3. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Go to paypal directly and ask if it's legit. Don't go from a link, type in the url. Sounds fishy to me.
  4. PAC

PAC

Delete. It's a scam.
  5. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Looks like a phishing scam to me.
  6. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

+100
  7. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I get phising emials like this that look like they are from Paypal. When they get through my spam filter I ignore them.
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

As everyone else says, double check all the links and the email address it came from.

However, when I sign into Paypal the first page does often ask me for a phone number which it can associate to the Paypal account, which it associates by sending a PIN to the phone which you then enter on the website.

All in all, it could be legit, as Paypal are certainly trying to implement something similar at the moment. However, go direct to the Paypal website, not via links in the email. Also, I wouldn't ignore it just incase there has been dodgy activity on the account.
  9. pacojas

first,.. thanks for your replies!;)

i was suspicious because of the "broken-english" style of the message. even though, like mohawk wrote about the phone number option, i was about to click their link. i'm glad you guys encouraged me to use the main web site to login!
    upon doing so, i immediately noticed the email address the Scammer used isn't the one i have on file with PP!!!:eek:
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Thank you for the first LOL of the week for me.
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I get those from my bank. Well i mean, pretending to be my bank.
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I get those too, and from every other major bank too!

Usually a give away!
  13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

The grammar gives it away

Scam
  14. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Long time no see, Mr. Astley...
    :D
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I don't make this offer to everyone, but I'll do it for you.

PM me your Paypal username and password and I'll be happy to check it out from here. I'll let you know what I find.
  16. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    I always found it funny when I got emails from twitter saying my account had been compromised when I didn't have one ;)
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote

This.

Go straight to PayPal, log in, and check to see if your account is still intact and unadulterated.

If so, that e-mail is a scam.

PS--Anyone still using PayPal without the keycode extra PIN is missing an extra layer of security. PayPal will send you the key for free (well, they did for me a couple of years ago anyway). When you use PayPal, you have to press a button on the key for an extra six-digit security number. You can't be too careful these days.
  18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Go to PayPal and look for a link in the FAQs about spam e-mails, or call them to ask for instructions. If you think it's a scam, they'll ask you to forward it to them using an address similar to "spoof@paypal.com".
  19. pacojas

oops,... i deleted it!:bag:
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Phish....and a very transparent one.

Any time you want to do something with an online account, don't do it from an email.

Login through the normal website path - if your account needs attention, you'll get a pop-up or other notice.