Curious

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gfclef48, Mar 1, 2014.

1. gfclef48

gfclef48

Is using a compressor and a sonic maximize redundant?:confused:
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

I am not familiar with a sonic maximize, and can't help answer your question, but a cryptic title like "Curious" does not help attract people who may know something about the subject of your question. And, there is a forum here that is specifically about pedals, effects, and such.

Try the "Effects [BG] forum: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/
  3. makaspar

makaspar

No - a compressor...compresses..

A Sonic Maximizer scoops your signal (boosts bass and treble) - more or less..
  4. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

As an aside, the sonic maximizer does a bit more than scooping the bass and treble. Depending on your amp settings, in bypass mode (which is not a true bypass), it will actually act as an HPF to a degree, rolling off the extremely low frequencies beginning around 50hz and dropping dramatically to almost nil at 30hz. And that effect can be useful to have with a bass, especially if you tend to play in rooms where you get lower frequencies rolling all over the place and muddying up your sound. However, there are both amps with dedicated high-pass filters as well as actual high-pass filter effects pedals that do a much better job dialing in exactly which frequency is problematic, and then helping you to correct it.

What the maximizer does is allow for some contouring of your overall tone through phase alignment and clarity. It phase-aligns your signals for highs, mids and lows. What everyone refers to as the "mid scoop" is the fact that you can add lows or highs via a low-contour option, and high-process option, which adds definition to the upper frequencies, increasing the perception of clearer and more articulate highs, same with the lows. That's due to the fact that the mids remain stationary. Why do they remain stationary? Because this isn't an EQ where you can punch this frequency or that frequency up. It's more of a definition and excitement tool than it is an EQ, with the mids being the "control group" in the phase alignment because your ear is more readily hearing those middle frequencies. And what is also so often misunderstood is that, while you can bump your lows and highs up in relation to your mids, you can also remove them. Same as with the highs in terms of removing the process definition.

This is just my experience using a BBE, but what I have found is that, when I run it in the effect send and return of my GK head, it definitely sounds better, and so long as I am careful to adjust for the stage I am on, I can get a much more articulate representation out of my bass. And it's part of the reason I get a lot of compliments locally on my tone. It's not the only reason, and it's certainly not for everyone, but used properly in the overall scheme of your sought-after tone, it can be very helpful in achieving out of the amp, what you hear in your head.
  5. Register to disable this ad