1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Current Band Situation

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by giantimi, Dec 11, 2013.

1. giantimi

giantimi Supporting Member

Hey there TB,

So a couple of months ago I responded to an ad on Craigslist for an alternative rock band looking for a bass player. I met the guitarist(also the vocalist) and that same night we jammed at the drummer's place. I generally liked what I heard (at the time) and I liked the fact that the guitar player was knowledgeable and already had a few originals for me to play around with.

However, at every single practice afterwards I always get the impression that as the bass player that I'm there simply there because I need to be and that my creative offerings aren't taken seriously. Now, I understand my role as a bass player, but it is frustrating that my ideas for songs or even what I play is never commented or taken seriously. I also realize now that maybe the type of alternative rock they are going after (think AFI/The Used) may not be my cup of tea. I think I'm more of a jazz/funk player and that I may not be the right fit for them.

Have you guys ever left bands because you felt like your creativity wasn't appreciated?

P.S. I am also starting to dislike the guitarist/vocalist for other reasons, but we won't go there just yet.
  2. tubenutq5

tubenutq5

Hmmmmm… After many years playing as a funk/R&B player I joined a "rock" band. Total failure for me because they wanted "foundation" only from the bassist. I quit after I was told that. Too many years of being more than just "foundation". I needed to be part of the flavor of the band.

Not your fault. Move on.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Life is short - quit and find something else you like doing better.

Cheers,
    Joe
  4. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

This is TB, so obviously you should quit.
    But since this is TB, you should first dish the dirt on the guitarist, then the vocalist, and then finally the guitarist/vocalist. Extra points for band names, pictures, and videos.

Seriously though, I haven't been in a band where I wasn't appreciated. I have been in unpleasant situations... one where the guitarist/vocalist (a trend?), although talented as heck, is a hypercritical micromanager and an irresponsible guy who made every interaction tense while managing to act as if he was chill and accomodating. I don't play with him any more.
  5. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I think before you make any attempt at peaceful resolution, you should probably insult them as people, and leave in a huff. Or maybe scratch that and flip it around. Maybe they are not aware of how you feel?
  6. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Original bands are hard enough to get going, let alone having to deal with personalities you dont like, being unappreciated, and playing music you're not really into. I'd get back on CL and find something more suitable to what you are looking for, then gracefully bow out of the AFI wannabe's. :bassist:
  7. MTW

MTW

Yes. I can relate. Just left my band for the same reason, 'cept it was a classic rock band with a very heavy left handed keyboardist to boot.

Move on and don't settle for less than what you want.
  8. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Yes, I have. If a band is paying me to "shut up and play", I do that happily and with a smile. If I am not being paid, I expect creativity to be accepted within the bounds of the genre, otherwise there's no point in me being there.
  9. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Yeah you can talk to them and you might find your right but either way play something you really want to.... I always start fresh bands instead if joining them just a thouggt
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Some songwriters really own their music and will not allow anyone to make comments about or changes about it.
    If the music is good and you can hang then just deal, if not leave now for it will not get better.

I have played with a few songwriters and most allow me to arrange my bass parts but sometimes change it a little. I have no issue if the changes are what they want to hear and normally I'm close to it not far off.

If a songwriter got all possessive or egotistical telling me what to play and it felt wrong to me or not my style I would say ram it and leave.
  11. metlman72

metlman72

How long have you been in the band? Did they already have established music? If so your creativity may be stifled until its time to write new material. Maybe they are not comfortable with your playing yet. There are a bunch of reasons this could happen.
  12. giantimi

giantimi Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies,

In addition to not liking the musical direction, it is also a pain in the ass to drive 40 mins to rehearsal on my dime because the drummer decided to live 40 mins away from town. My guitarist also comes off as a little self-centered at times and unfortunately that personality trait seeps into the creative process. If I'm in an original band, I want to be taken seriously. I'm a musician and a bass player.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to leave. I just need to get my 96 lbs. Mesa Boogie Cab from the drummer's place (which is 40 mins away lol).
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

It's great when there's an originals group where everybody is making their own contribution. However, it can also mean too many cooks in the kitchen, and sometimes you need to let one or two people take the lead and fill in behind them. An egotistical guitarist/singer/songwriter? Whoever heard of such a thing? But there, the issue is fundamentally whether you think he's good and is writing stuff that you'd be happy to be a part of, including in a supporting role. You can play that role if you believe in what they're doing. Doesn't sound like that's the case here, though.
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Nope.
  15. RockNRollAl

RockNRollAl

I don't get it. If someone in my band doesn't get a part of a song, I go ahead and fill it in. Sometimes we end up with arrangements with the bass and guitar parts completely reversed, but it still sounds killer.

I take control of the songs with my bass... :D
  16. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

RAGEQUIT EVERYTHING EVER

RARRRARA
  17. Shaun Letang

Shaun Letang

You should definitely let them know how you feel. Remember, it may be hard for them to take new opinions from a new band member, but as you've been there for a while now, it's time for them to get over that. Let them know you want more input (not in a rude way of course) and take things from there. If you still don't get a creative input, you may want to leave. You're clearly a creative person, so not giving you that opportunity is going to leave you unhappy in the long-run.