Current Bassmakers in Germany

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonix, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sonix

sonix

Hey guys,

so I've recently moved to Germany and I've been considering upgrading my hybrid Romanian bass. Any of you could recommend any bass makers in Germany? At the moment, I am only aware of Poellman and Wilfer, although instruments from the latter seem to have a lower reputation...

More about what I'm looking for, I'm looking for a Jazz instrument, probably 4 but maybe 5 string. Price range in the 4 to 10k EUR.

Ideas are welcome.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Paesold and Wilfer are the two I'm familiar with in your price range. Your budget will get you a shop made bass.

3. sonix

sonix

both 30 mins away from where I live. worth checking out

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

That's lucky! With that kind of access, I'm sure you'll find something.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    Post back with your impressions once you visit their shops. I really like Wilfer basses and they are on my radar for a future purchase, also within your price range and type of instrument (jazz, pizz).

Photos would be also great ;)

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not in that price range, but Horst Gruenert. Stefan Krattemacher is German, but works out of England; I'm not clear if that makes his basses German or English. But why are you committed to buying new (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Tobias Festl's shop has a bunch of basses.
    In that price range, is Paul Bryant still making basses?

8. sonix

sonix

i guess for my price range i should really be looking for something used, but its just always been my preference. I prefered buying something new and taking good care of it. i'm not the type that likes to trade up things every once in a while. been on my first bass for 8 years now.

i also have the google glass, so it's easier to take pics ;-)

ofcourse here you have to ask before you take pics. there's a law for that :p

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You need to play some older (used) basses and some newer basses in order to find the one for you. You'll find some of the good "used" basses out there are much more expensive than a new shop bass. Only through lots of comparison shopping will you know what is right for you.

10. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Herr Krattenmacher works in Ettenheim, Germany, just across the river from Strasbourg.

11. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I see by your price range that Jens Ritter is a possibility? Or are you looking for more standard Fender style instruments?

Also, I would love to know if Hermann Kempf is still making basses. There are pics of the HK basses around that he had sold out of Korea, but he's a German luthier who seems to have gone quiet. His basses looked awful pretty for not being expensive.

hk-instruments.de doesn't seem to lead anywhere, but I don't know German enough to know if I'm missing something.

EDIT: Er, sorry, didn't realize this was from the double bass forum - I saw "Jazz bass" :/

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well then, there you go.

13. csrund

csrund

Media:
  14. TonyD

TonyD

15. fatpanda

fatpanda

I have actually had the opposite experience. I've found that Wilfer basses are much easier to play and achieve better sound, while Pollman basses always look very pretty but can be tiring to play at times.

16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    That's what I've heard from some other players too.

17. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Where in Germany are you? If you are to the north-west, you might want to consider a day-trip to Groningen/Netherlands. There is Rikkers Gitaarbouw
    http://www.rikkersgitaarbouw.nl/
    They make wonderful instruments. He is my local luthier since a couple of years and does outstanding work!

Edit: If you decide to do so, contact me - their shop is 200 meters from my door. We could have a coffee and a chat together :)

18. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

What do you think makes Pollman basses tiring/harder to play compared to Wilfer?

19. sonix

sonix

20. jcrowe

jcrowe

Interesting. I have played quite a few Pöllman basses over the years. The Air Force Bands own some plus my personal bass is a Pöllmann. All the ones I have played sounded good.. some great. One of the tings I love about their basses is how the necks feel... those instruments are so easy to play. When I was stationed in Germany Michael Kramher repaired/restored an old Bohemian bass I owned. During my trips to check on the restoration he would suggest good jazz basses in his shop (either Pöllmans or other basses) and they would be killer sounding jazz basses. Point is Micheal knows a good jazz bass and if he was building a jazz bass for a client I am sure it would sound fantastic
    I also play a nice ¾ 1998 Wilfer that I like a lot. The Wilfer is a shop made gamba shaped bass. To compare the two is like comparing a entry level BMW to a high end Porsche. That being said I really like the Wilfer… it is easy to play and gets a nice clear articulate sound.

Here are some live tracks of the Wilfer and Pöllmann:

Wilfer:
    https://soundcloud.com/jason-crowe-1/i-remember-carl-1

https://soundcloud.com/jason-crowe-1/talesfromrockawaybeach-falc-pc

Pöllmann:

In your price range I think the Wilfer is a good option. However, you should take a trip to Mittenwald and check out the Kramher brothers’ shop… it is amazing.

21. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    Thanks for the links. Beautiful duo with teh Singer. congrats.

I don't have the Pollmann Price list but IIRC there are much more expensive than the Wilfers.