Current Fender Jazz 60's or 70's quality question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chinjazz, Nov 11, 2012.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm starting to get the bug for a 4 string Fender with a Rosewood board.

I'm sort of a sucker for the blocks on the 70's...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-70s-jazz-bass

but not exactly stuck on a 70's Jazz...

So this one seems nice too...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-60s-jazz-bass

Anyone know if either of these two are currently better than another coming out of the current production line? In Mexico I believe. Also, overall the quality is good?

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks!

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Quality is very good ... the entire Classic Series is an excellent value, especially if you can find ones in good shape used ... I have had a few of the 60's, currently have one now and also a 70's that is beautiful ... they do sound different with the 60's and 70's pup spacing, but tough to go wrong with either ... the 60's was introduced in '01, and of those I have had, I think the older the better ... the later ones do have a CNC hole under the pickguard, the earlier ones were clean underneath ... the '70's were introduced in '08 ...

3. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

I bought a Classic 60s J new back in Jan 2009; it was a 2008 model.
    No CNC under the pickguard.
    Expect a little fret sprout -- common, and easily dealt with.
    Great bass for the money.

4. chinjazz

Hey Tjh,

I could go used also, probably save a little coin. I'm not bothered by the CNC on the body because it would only be a worry if I didn't like pickguards, or wanted to go translucent or something. Oddly enough I depend on pickguards for my slap style.

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chinjazz

Hey W, that sounds good, no worries on fret sprout. I can also work out fret tangs, leveling for those weird dead spots, etc.....

Thanks!

7. Willicious

oh, and definite +1 to TJH's suggestion on going the used route.
    i've seen some amazing deals on here on these basses.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    There are a lot of threads on the 60's Classic. They are rewarding if you care to hunt them down.

I had a very early example that was amazingly great. I was then pushed into making mods by an over-bearing sound engineer for a live radio show I played for weekly.

Once I escaped that, I realized that the stock instrument was basically superior in sound to the mod'ed version I had created.

I would advise that you skip the bad-ass bridge and split-coil pickups mods, and instead focus on set-up and getting the right strings for your tone goals.

Eventually, I sold my darling 60's Jazz, with all the mods, to a fine young guitarist who was being lured by the low-end.

My final words of advice are that you skip the Classic series, either the 60's or 70's editions. They are all fine, but for very little more, you can score a Road Worn Jazz. These are truly truly Classic series killers.

In fact, since I got my second (and very superior) RW Jazz, it is all I play besides my upright. :bag:

9. Willicious

Don't the RW's tend to run lighter in weight, too?
    Something about the wood being drier, more resonant?

10. chinjazz

Thanks Jim!

I played a fiesta red RW that sounded great! At GC of all places. It had some set up issues that could have been nudged out but at the time my funds were low. What colors did you get, sunburst?

Cheers!

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

The Roadworns are killer basses. Very good value in the used market. I have yet to play(or own) one that wasn't impressive. I also really dig the Classic 60's Jazz. They really are outstanding instruments for the price.

12. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I just played one Roadworn today at the music store and I was totally blown away! The feel and the sound is extraordinary. Very close to the original 60s basses. Might be even better than some of the not-so-resonant originals from that era.

13. chinjazz

Thanks Margus and AMJBASS! I'm starting to seriously consider RW :), and used. Hey it'll look used and be used right?

14. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Used or new - no matter! They all play and sound just great! :) I was really really impressed! :)

15. chinjazz

Awesome! Now I've gotta save and strategize the funds. I saw a few pics of the 3TS versions that just sold recently here on TB and now I've got the Fever!

Are those tuning pegs the reverse kind?

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Yes they are reversed.

17. chinjazz

I was surfing the web and a question came to mind.....

Are these sort of the same materials as the road worn, except without the "relicing":

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBass60R3SB

I saw this one and thought "dude, that looks nice".... (You know, that gas alter ego thing).

Are the road worns noticeably better than these?

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... the Classic Series 60's J looks very comparable to the RoadWorn counterparts, but to those that have had both (Dr Jim's post above), they say the comparison in hand is not the same as on paper...

... with that said, the 60's Classic Series Jazz can be found used under $500 at times ... the RW Jazz at least $2-300+ more ...

... can't go wrong with either ... JMHO

19. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

I'm pretty sure the RW and Classic 60's are the same basses, only the RW is relic'd.

My friend works for Steve's Music in Toronto. Fender sent him on a tour of their factories in Arizona and Mexico, as a dealer (he's head of the bass department). He said the RW and Classic are essentially the same, just with a different finish, that was the year they were both selling. The RW is Nitro i think.

I can't spot any differences. The necks are the exact same, with the exception of the wear. They come from the same factory.

20. steamthief

steamthief

I had a MIM 60's Classic, and I thought it played and sounded better than the other three MIA Jazz basses I owned - a '75 RI, a GC FSR Hot Rodded Jazz and a Hamer 2-tek Cruise.

Be patient and you can find a used one in nice condition for $400 or so.

21. chinjazz

Thanks Vinny! That's great!