Cusack Screamer Fuzz Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by musocat, Oct 15, 2012.

1. musocat

musocat

Disclosures:
    Endorses: Dean Markley strings, Mesa Boogie amps.
    I didn't see any other threads about this pedal in particular...

There weren't any video reviews when I started looking for an overdrive, so after I got this one and liked it, I did a vid review myself! :)

So if anybody's thinking of trying one out, maybe it'll help. It's the first review I've done for anything so it ain't super-polished or anything, but the sound is pretty good - I have better recording equipment than video equipment :)

Regards,

James
  2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    that's a really nice sounding pedal. thanks for sharing the demo clip.
    i just may have to get one of those. IMO, it doesn't sound anything like a tubescreamer permutation.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Nice demo I was digging the fuzz down with the scream up a notch.
  4. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

Hey James, a guy I play with just posted this short vid of me using the Cusack Screamer Fuzz. Sounds great stacked with other gain pedals. This one is with a VT Bass, but it works well with preamp style pedals like the MXR M-80. It's only a iPhone vid, but the character of the fuzz is pretty present.
  5. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks for the vids guys! Just curious if you tried the Screamer Bass before deciding on the Screamer Bass Fuzz... or if anyone tried the Bass Screamer for that matter?...
  6. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

I have the Screamer Bass also, which I really like. In my opinion, it works best with Fender type passive basses, less so with my Wal. I play with a pick for anything distortion, so you can take that into consideration. For the most part, I've been using some sort of preamp or mild gain mixed with overdrive these days, so for me the MXR M-80 and Screamer together is currently my favorite for passive bass distortion, a little less modern than a Darkglass, to me at least through a solid state amp. The Darkglass by itself, has been hard to beat though. I had a B7k, but I got a B3k with another pedal for EQ. Not the cheapest way to go but it works well for me.
    To be honest, I haven't had a lot of success with fuzzes that aren't paired with some other gain or eq, mostly because switching back and forth is so drastic. So having the gain pedal tone mixed in there lessens the dropout that might occur when switching off a fuzz, after a chorus or bridge is over for instance
  7. 8strings0hair

So would you say the Screamer Bass Fuzz has the same gain structure as the Screamer Bass, but with the added possibility of blending in the fuzz? I'm mainly asking 'cause I'm not that interested in the Fuzz part (at least not adding too much), and I'd rather have a tone control like the Screamer Bass.
  8. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

I think so. As far as I know, it has the same Screamer circuit, and I think the clipping switch has the same options. I'll take a look at my practice space tonight.
  9. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

Yes, same circuit, same clipping options.
  10. 8strings0hair

Aw, sweet. Thanks Gmclachlan!