Custom 1x15 Bass Cab, speaker choice confusion, HELP

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MaGrass, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MaGrass

MaGrass

Hello bassmen,

Once again I need your help...

I am currently waiting for my new cab to arrive, it's a custom design cab. I won't spend too many words to describe how that looks like instead, i'd like to ask you which speaker works better with a 1x15 dimension.

Right from the scratch, the cab maker wanted to put one celestion bn15 400s (anyone knows this speaker?) But after few researches online I Did find out that it may not be the best choice in terms of bass speaker. I need a bassy sound, present, for funk, soul and world music. I've read that the Celestion bass speaker mentioned is closer to a guitar speaker than a actual bass one...

So I am confused now...
    Among other speakers I had a look at, there was an eminence kappalite 3015. Is that a better alternative?
    What 15" speaker of which make would you put Into your 1x15?

The head I'm gonna use with this cab is a fender bassman 70 from the 70s....

Help a bassbrotha!!

2. MaGrass

MaGrass

As you can see, the cab is split in 2, the right side will be for the bass...just so that you can have an idea of the dimensions...

Attached Files:

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

That's an equation that isn't going to compute, not with anything louder than a bedroom practise.
    IME/IMO anyway.

You may have seen a few similar threads to yours before and on every single one of them people who actually build cabs and even some folks who are just parroting, point out that a cab is designed around a driver, not the other way around.

You can reduce the internal volume of an enclosure by fillin it with solid objects, and slightly "increase" it by adding more lining, but why go all that trouble?

If 115 would really be the only option, the driver I'd choose for Your application would probably be the Kappalite, even though I do prefer EV tone.
    I use two TL505 cabs loaded with EV's as my rig.

Regards
    Sam

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

I am not the expert. But if yo were to give exact inside dimensions I'll bet someone could point you in the right direction.

Is that a guitar AND bass cab for use with the Bassman 70? If so, cool idea!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MaGrass

MaGrass

I gotta ask the builder the exact dimensions, I don't know those by millimeter or inches.... I just know that suits a 15" inches speaker! :)

Yeah that's a custom idea I had as I play guitar in some gigs and bass in some other shows...I'm mostly a bassist tho. The bassman goes Well with Both instruments so I thought that I wanted a cab which suits Both! In case a get fed up with it I'll turn it into a cab either for only guitar or for only bass (if that happens I think it will be a bass cab)

Thanks buddy! ;)

7. MaGrass

MaGrass

Are you saying that I'm basically already losing? :) 1x15 cab can produce a fair amount of volume I think, I mean, there's no distorted guitar anywhere in the music I play Where I need to pump up with a 8x10...it's true that the bassman 70 ain't new so it can't match a newly designed/engineered head but bassman + kappalite....do you reckon this setup wouldn't be able to deliver?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

With a closed back cab for bass, it limits speaker movement and bass response so it can take a bit more power from your amp.

You might want to read through a couple of threads from my TB Wiki page and study up on how very loud, very heavy tone cabs are made. They have ports and are designed specifically for each speaker based on it's parameter.

http://wiki.talkbass.com/index.php?title=Learning_Links_For_All_TBrs#Cabs_2

http://wiki.talkbass.com/index.php?...For_All_TBrs#Amps.2C_Heads.2C_Cabs_and_Combos

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is there a sealed back for that cab? A port for the 15?

10. MaGrass

MaGrass

Yes the bass side is sealed and the guitar side is openable, intended to fit various environments and cover more sonic options.

11. MaGrass

MaGrass

I'll have a look thanks a lot! Do you think that the cab is already too small to be used for Giggin in a venue for example?

12. MaGrass

MaGrass

That's how the finished thing should look like

Attached Files:

13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

No, not losing, just not getting what You seek, on volume levels you want.

I'm assuming that You have the same silver face UL Bassman 70 I have as only the amp section of a Bassman 10/70.
    While it does stay cleaner longer thanks to the ultra linear output section, dialing in that sweet tube tone is pretty hard if You need to reach a certain SPL.

Back in the day, after trying the amp with several cab combinations, I abandoned the idea of using mine as a bass amp and built a Gibson inspired 212 open back guitar combo out of it using square magnet Fender drivers.

Sounded heavenly with my Flying-V.

Kappalites didn't exist back when I did my experiments, so I guess anything else than it will probably be the best affordable option now. I'd still look into BFM or other horn loaded enclosures though, as always with low power tube amps.
    You'll need every single dB of sensitivity you can get.
    Unless You like the behaviour of a direct radiating cab, and hate folded horns of course.

That said, I've been toying with an idea of making mine a 410 combo once again using 4 Deltalite II's ;).

In any case, I'd still try to test that combination before making the desicion.
    Anything -lite isn't going to be cheap.

Regards
    Sam

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Nice looking cab. Variable open back for the guitar side is cool.

As far as "loudness" for a gig, depends on how loud your band it.

What type of music do you play?
    What's the equipment of the band? Guitar? PA? Drums?
    What size venues?
    Will the bass be mic'd through the PA?

Here's a TB link to amp/cabs info.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/
    Scroll down to the DIY cab building section for lots of great info that will help you out.

Check out this current DIY cab build thread and you'll see what goes into building a "real" bass cab.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/diy-2x15-cabinet-build-real-deal-965308/

15. MaGrass

MaGrass

I've been told many times that bassman heads work better with guitar. I ve actually heard it distorting the bass a little even connected to a 4x10..
    I guess there s no much choice here,

Basically, even if the kappalite ain't gonna be cheap, I reckon that it will handle it better than that Celestion. Or I may look into those EVs as you suggest.

It's tough to think of which combination will suit this head as I Didn't even have chance to try any of these speakers.

Here's the bassman:

Attached Files:

16. MaGrass

MaGrass

Thanks a lot for the links! I had a look and its all very Interesting.
    Realistically talking tho, the cab has been already made, so not many chances for changing stuff physically apart from now choosing a good quality speaker.
    he's (the cab maker) asking me this:

" When it comes to impedance, what impedance bass speaker were you thinking of using? I would possibly say go for 8ohms and paying the little extra and getting the switching stereo plate. This does cost £20 but allows you to use two 8ohm stereos and a 4 and 16ohm mono."

Would that be the way to go? What do you reckon?

Also, I am Still open to get suggestions in terms of speaker.
    Again, what I play is funk, soul, motown, afrobeat and occasionally reggae and dub.
    The amp will be pretty much used in venues from small to medium size and Yes, I'll mic it up or DI. I usually play with other instruments as guitar, drums, keys and a horn section. The volume of the gigs ranges from medium to loud but (almost) Never like a rock show.

I hope this is gonna help,
    :cool:
    Please keep suggesting speakers! :) something tiny but loud!! That's all I need..

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

There is so much information on the design and implementation of bass speaker cabinets on this site. I really wish you had read through some of it. It's a horrible feeling when you expend time, energy and money on something that performs poorly.

18. MaGrass

MaGrass

Tell me about it....I don't have Big budgets either to spend on it.

I have not Tried it yet so you can imagine how scared I am to waste my little money....

In any case I Did look into mark bass speakers, I ve Tried em and they sound powerful....That's a company called B & C.

They have a retailer in south London, I think as soon as I get the cab I'll call em up and drive down there...

19. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    All the speakers you mention will handle 70 watts RMS with ease, the more low frequency performance you have from the loudspeaker design the less efficient it is likely to be, so look for higher SPL figures at 1 watt 1 metre to suit the Tube amps limited output.
    Check out the manufacturers response graphs and then get hold of some free loudspeaker cabinet design software and then play with the cabinet dimensions you have, to see the predicted response of the driver choices you are looking at.
    All you have to do is feed in the drivers Thiel small parameters and the software will produce an expected response graph.:bassist:

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    With the sealed design, speaker choices will be somewhat limited, although with that 70 watt amp, you could get away with trying other speaker that with more powerful amps, maybe wouldn't be suited so well to sealed boxes. Whatever you put in there won't be very loud.

I'd probably try an Eminence Beta15 in there as they'll work in sealed boxes, are cheap, and will at least get you playing. Then you'll see if the idea is worth persuing further. They'll have a classic sort of "ampeg-ish" tone and will at least sound good for the lower volume stuff the amp cab do. At gigs you will pretty much have to mic it all the time.

The box is already built without thought of the driver to be used. That is putting the cart before the horse. The Beta will give it a good thump and not empty your wallet too much. Could discuss more expensive drivers if the box were actually designed for them. Being that it's not, I'd keep it on the cheap.

21. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would definitely try that and see how it works out then. You trusted him to build the cab, so trust him to spec the right speaker for what he built.