1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Custom Bass Builds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cv115505, Nov 2, 2013.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Hey guys and gals,

I just finished my first custom bass build wanted to see what you guys thought. Also looking for others to put their custom builds up here and see what everyone has come up with for their projects. Lastly I was hoping anyone who wanted to get in on this could post some lessons learned from mistakes made.

I knew whatever I was going to do, I wanted it to have a unique tone. That in mind, I decided to do a '51 P with a fretless jazz neck (graphite). I planned to use the regular split P pickup, but I didn't factor in that the '51 covers would not fit the split. This left me in a dilemma because I want the covers for aesthetics. Did some research and ended up getting the SD Custom Shop stacked '51 humbucker (amazing pickup). Hardware is all Hipshot with Labella '54 flats (though I accidentally bought the thru-body set, so i may be replacing them) and I put the foam mute in the bridge cover. I love the way this beast turned out and it is going great for the lounge jazz and rockabilly session work I have been doing lately.

Attached Files:

2. mack_avz

mack_avz

It looks awesome and I bet it sounds awesome too!
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Nice job.

IMO, with a few minor tweaks, Leo pretty much got it right the first time. My DIY '51 is similar but with a maple J width neck, Gotoh 350 Res-O-Lite tuners and SD a 1/4 pounder pickup (haven't felt the need to spring for the CS humbucker...yet).
  4. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

Very cool. Unique build without being totally off the wall. Nice job!
  5. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Congrats on the build! I have the same pickup in my 51/ 55 P bass.
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliments guys!
  7. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

Looks great!!!