Custom bass club #1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slybass3000, Nov 5, 2009.

1. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

After a search here,there is no custom bass club and I want to start one because I feel that it is missing.

A custom bass would preferably be built by unknown builder or very small companies. I guess it could be a very special bass like my first "Fender" that was heavily customised and still one of my main bass for recording:

But my real proud is this custom bass that was built in 1989 and is my main axe since ten. 5 strings,24 frets, 35" scale,graphite in the neck and Ken Smith hardware. Oil finish and shaped to my taste:body and neck.
    For me this is the best bass I ever played and will probably. I do own about 20 lefty basses now but these two are on top of the list.

I have other custom basses from the same builder but these two are special to me. They keep working professionally for 30 and 20 years already. This bass which is an early 5 strings with 35" and graphite neck and shaved to my taste is my daily bass and most reliable bass in my arsenal. I couldn't live without it. It is my sound,my personal tool for every kind of gig I do either recording sessions,TV or live.

So how about a Custom Bass club and bring the spotlight on those who have the passion,talent and dedication to their craft and make bassists sound and look better?

I'll be #1

1.Sylvain Bolduc plays Pierre Laporte creations for 30 years.

Attached Files:

2. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Sounds like a Great idea, Slybass. I'll be #2 (in line, that is ;) ). Please allow me to introduce my two Custom creations: A USA-shaped 4-string I named "Continental" because it is obviously shaped like the Continental United States (sorry. but you can't see the "Continental" decal I installed on the headstock). Also, is a photo of my Custom 2-string Wishbass, I call the "Twomerang", since it looks like a 2-string boomerang. Let's keep the membership rollin' !!

Attached Files:

3. gweimer

gweimer

I suppose this would qualify. It's essentially my design, from different parts, and my luthier did a great job of putting it all together. This is the Bettie Page fanfret bass. It's got a mahogany body and I used a Lollar pickup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

These are funky looking basses,welcome #2,

Sly

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Lots of nice little details here. Welcome #3

Sly

7. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

#1 Slybass 3000
    #2 Buzz Fluhart
    #3 Gweimer

8. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    soon to become reviewer and interviewer for EADG mag
    I'd like to apply for #4.

My bass is on order, i will have it in a few months.

Here's a preview:

BTW Sly, Mr. Laporte i s a great luthier.... + he is a great guy i like your bass

9. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Go for #4.
    What kind of bass is that?
    Thanks for the good words for the man,he deserves it.

Sly

10. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

#1 Slybass 3000
    #2 Buzz Fluhart
    #3 Gweimer
    #4 Bassman74

Not bad,not bad. Keep coming in !

11. bassman74

Disclosures:
    The bass is a Cliff Bordwell (www.cbbasses.com)

He's a hell of a great builder...

12. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Yeap nice basses on the site and not too expensive either.

13. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

14. Barnabas

Barnabas

So custom it hurts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    still not quite done

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Salut Sylvain,
    I've got one on order from Saki Stevenson, montreal luthier that should be ready soon.
    But for now, this is my Lecompte. Great bass built to my specs by Bud Lecompte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Disclosures:
    SandStorm Designs
    Dunno if Michal Dolan would count, Hes semi known. But the people who do know his work never look back : )

[​IMG]

17. bassman74

Disclosures:
    Un beau bonjour à Yvon et Sylvain... Sylvain j'ai déjà entendu ton nom assez souvent! je me rappelle pas où.. Est-ce que tu enseignes quelque part?

how do you like your lecompre bass yvon???

Welcome to the new club member!!!

Can't wait to see your Koa bass done CFclef

18. Dines

Dines

Does a custome build Danish Mørch bass count. He's an old guy that has been building guitars and basses since the 70'es.

It's a beuatiful piece of work, brilliant clear sound with a nice middle and full tone. No serial number so insurance have pics. It's my baby so almost sleep with it at night

19. bassman74

Disclosures:
    Hello dines, can you post a picture of your bass?

i'd like to see it..

20. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

This bass was built by Ron Blake back in 2001. The "RB" on the headstock stands for Roman-Blake. I had a friend buying guitars through Ed Roman's World Class Guitars website back then, and had no idea who Ed was at the time, but Ron was working for him then (and may still be; I'm not sure...)

Apparently Ron Blake worked for Carl Thompson (CT Basses) for a number of years. This bass is truly one of a kind... Quilted Bubinga front, Black Limba (Korina) wood body, neck made of Maple and Wenge, with Ebony fretboard, and Ebony headstock. 36" scale, 24 frets, Aero Instruments dual humbuckers with passive controls - 4-way switch, V-V-T., with mono bridges. Inlays are my design... didn't want anything too fancy, and thought this was simple and elegant at the same time. Swooshes are pearl shell, and the dots are green abalone.

On the back of the headstock you can see the battery box for the FretFX lights I installed, which are visible in the full-back picture. It's a great bass, and was quite expensive at the time when built. Because of the "R" in the "RB" logo, the bass will never have a high resale value, but I truly enjoy the feel of it, and will never part with it. Although I have other basses I play, this one is my main player, and always feels smooth and easy to play. Didn't mean to get so wordy, but there you have it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

You don't know Sylvain Bolduc?
    He played with Céline Dion, Jean Leloup (remember the great bassline from Alger?), Paul Piché etc...

Many TV show also like beau et chaud I caught him on a tv show just last saturday, I don't remember the name of the show though... I don,t know if it's playing every saturday.