1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Custom bass makers similar in style to CT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

I am really interested in getting a Carl Thompson bass, but I will have to save for a couple of years before I can go about getting one. It looks like Carl is wrapping up production, so it is not likely that I will get one from him.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other luthiers I could look into? I found birdsong basses that are pretty awesome, but I was hoping for more options as well.

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

It seems like there are quite a few...of the few I know:
    Pete Hilton (incredible pieces of functional art)
    Mike Browne (don't know if he is still active, but The LowEnd usually has one in stock somehow)
    Adam Stone (very affordable!)
    Andrew Drake (not exactly CT, but IMO closely inspired)

3. Shawn Cav

Shawn Cav Guest

4. Mtnman

Mtnman

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Adam Stone would probably be the cheapest and closest you can get to a real CT without having to spend a ton of cash. Here's some demos:

Both of those are custom Adam Stone basses, very nice tone, and look very identical to the real deal.

7. Tom0Blam0

Does anyone know if Adam Stone is still making basses? His website hasn't been updates since 2012. I sent him and email today and I'm waiting to hear back. His work is incredible.

8. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury Supporting Member

FYI: Carl isn't "wrapping up production."

"As of February 5th, 2014 (Carl's birthday!) we will not be taking any more "custom orders." People with instruments on order, your guitars and basses will get our full attention until they're all complete. Once these are done we will still continue to build. We have some new designs in the works and new ideas that we'd like to try, but these guitars will be for sale as finished instruments."

Source: http://www.ctbasses.com/

9. Tom0Blam0

I should have been more specific. Carl is wrapping up production on custom ordered instruments.

10. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

I sent him an email not to long ago, last I heard from him he's still making basses. He just hasn't updated his website recently.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

John toon. Toonbass.webs.com I believe

12. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

I second Adam Stone. I've got a bass he made and I really, really, really, really love it.

13. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    Endorsing : Elixir Strings, Digitech , Eden Amplification
    Kian guitars are making a CT Tribute bass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dblbass

dblbass

Disclosures:
    Worker Gnome @ Carl Thompson Guitars. Former worker gnome @ Sadowsky guitars
    It's kinda disappointing that someone would knock off Carl's work so thoroughly. STILL... the back veneer on that first kian is immensely beautiful.

15. SlappyTap

SlappyTap

I've tried emailing Adam Stone on 3 separate occasions over the last YEAR and got no reply. Is there a more efficient way to reach him?

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If he's that difficult to contact when you're trying to place an order, imagine how difficult it's gonna be to contact him if your order falls behind schedule.

Find another builder.