custom bass P/J pickup placement help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chunkyzz, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Chunkyzz

Chunkyzz

heya!
    so soon i will receive my MEC pickups,
    1 J style and 1 P style,

My question is!
    Warwick Places and J/P style are J at the Bridge and P at the neck like this:

http://warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=14443&linkID=48276

But the Neck P style is opposite from the known way of the Fender Precision...
    like this:

http://www.livelightsmusic.de/bilder/guitars/fender/Fender_Precision_Bass_Delux.jpg

not where it is placed but the way it is Placed.
    what will the difference be and what you recommend

and...where do you say to place them?
    on a 34 inch scale 4 string bass =)

hope all got what i am saying
  2. Splods

Splods

Some custom bass companies have switched the pickup positioning over, as it move the lower string pickups further towards the bridge, which slightly changes the sound, and makes it better for harmonics.

Mostly it is just personal preference. Make a rig to test the pickups above the strings in either way, and see what you prefer.
  3. Chunkyzz

Chunkyzz

what do you mean make a rig?
    i need to know what position to place them cuz i need to cut the body ;)
    didn't get you there m8
  4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Just make the body without routing the holes for the pickups. When you are done with the body you put everything together and make a contraption to hold the pickups in place above the strings. you can then test out different configs and positions. When you have the config you like you measure where everything is located, disassemble and make the cavities for the pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chunkyzz

Chunkyzz

oh so the pickups will be infront of the strings and under them,just oopsite,
    nice idea =) ty!