1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Custom bass paint job, rough cost?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

It'll be on a Fender Jazz, getting a Red/Black sunburst. I know it'll vary between locations, but a rough figure would be nice.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I just paid $420 to have a P5 body stripped and painted with nitro.
    Southbound Customs did the work.
  3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

That's not bad for a pro job - considering they're removing what is probably a non-nitro, thick, and tough poly finish - and spraying a bunch of coats of nitro. All pretty tricky work that takes time.

In short: It's pretty pricey if you get it done properly. I haven't had it done so I can't contribute on pricing :meh:.
  4. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I have heard people say you can get a nice solid color finish from a motorcyle shop for $100 to $150.
    Anyone ever tried that?
  6. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

I've used them exclusively several times already. My advice: wait until a Holiday comes up. They always discount their refinishes during those times considerably. Quality from those guys have been top-notch and I have been nothing but 100% satisfied with them so far. On top of that, yes, their prices are more than affordable.
  8. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Do they charge extra to strip a body before painting?
  9. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I second Marty Bell. 300.00, but he did not have to strip. It is flawless.

[​IMG]
  10. JoZac21

JoZac21

Now that is an awesome looking bass! I've always wanted a purple bass...
  11. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

At this price, i would sell your body instead of refinishing it and buy a painted body from warmoth's showcase. You can chose the color and weight you want for approx. 295$, of course this works only if you need a fender type bass body
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    One day I'm gonna get my fortress one refinished. I love everything about that bass lest it's honey violin color. To say I hate that color would be an understatement. Plugged in for future reference.
  13. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Take it to a body shop or hotrod shop. Depending on what color/colors you want. Id say around 3-400 and thats with material. What paint job do you want?
  14. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Rather than trust chance to give me a good body, I'd start with a proven perfect plank that I'm going to keep and not waste good paint on what might be a chunk of scrap wood headed for the door.

Thanks everyone who discussed Guitar Paint Guys!
  15. nemo

nemo

16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

They make duct tape in all colors now.
    Just sayin'
  17. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Nope. Every step needed to refinish a guitar (including stripping off the old paint) is done for 1 price. The only thing is that they offer only poly finish, no nitro. Isn't a bad thing unless you're a nitro fan, but for poly lovers, they are a blessing.
  18. the wako kid

the wako kid

19. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I miss real Metalflake. That was some great paint. Someone used to build fiberglas unibodies for BSAs and other bikes, and they offered real Metalflake. My late Bro had a blue one. Miles deep, with that flash you only get from the big flakes.
  20. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz