custom bass project help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jtoastercamp, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jtoastercamp

jtoastercamp

well after a couple of years of debate. I am neck deep (literally! just ordered a custom wenge on wenge fretless neck from warmoth) into a custom double book matched walnut custom bass for one of my good friends..... now I have been building fine furniture for the last 10 years but this is my first shot at a musical instrument. and to top it all off I am not a bassist. so any and all advise would be welcomed..... have been studing under a guitar builder who has helping me with basic assembly and tuning but I need help with wiring/shielding pickup selection, and a good bridge/tuner combo. all I want is for this to be a great playing and sounding bass when I give it to my friend.
    cheers
    btw. this is my first posting to talkbass would like to post some photos of my finished prototypes. how does one do that??

2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

This should be very easy for you if you area furniture builder. The Warmoth necks are superb. I recommend a nice traditional bridge with threaded saddles They are not expensive and will give you some latitude when it comes to string spacing. Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-P-Ba...546?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cdc854a22

Are the bridge holes pre-drilled? Are you cutting the body yourself?

You have two choices with shielding. One would be foil with conductive adhesive and the other would be shielding paint. Both are available from a number of sources. Both are easy to apply.

You will need a neck plate and screws. There are lot's of them available from many sources. I recommend browsing Ebay just to see what is out there.

There are a couple of tasks for you. Others will chime in.