1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Custom Bass Specs check

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Godinho_EURO6LX, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Hey Guys

I am on the start of a new mission and i.e getting my Custom Bass made. I came up with couple of wood types for the bass and other things to help it, However im not sure if this Combination might work for me. So ill need info or feedback on your experiences with these Specs.

I play Metal mostly and also play Funk and Blues.

6 String Neck thru Bass

Body wood- Alder Sides with Walnut top.
    (Planning on creating chambers in the body to reduce weight)Will doin this effect my Tone a lot??

Neck wood- 3 Pc Maple.

Fingerboard- Ebony.

I have a Local Luthier who makes some custom basses. so need to know by getting these wood types is it going to work for me...and the balance of the bass, Since the wood types are Heavy, ive Decided to create Chambers in the wings to cut off some weight.

Your reviews and talks will be appreciated.

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Warmath's website is great at describing how a certain wood effects the sound. This is a great place to start.

Since you want a neck through the wings will have very little, if any, effect on the tone. It's gonna be the neck. Maple is bright and snappy.

All Sadowsky NYC Basses have chambered bodies. There is an art to this. If you remove to much you can thin out the sound in a bolt on neck bass. This shouldn't be to much of an issue on a neck though since the sides are glued on.

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    This type of stuff is where a great luthier can help you NOT make mistakes that you'll regret later.

4. bassteban

bassteban

Chris Stambaugh built me a sweet 6er- I wanted it chambered; he cautioned me that it would very much affect the tone, to the point that it would be the dominant feature, totally. I went ahead w/it(chambering)- wouldn't say it made a huge diff but it does have a bit of extra harmonic content in the higher registers, and maybe a touch of mud below D(on the B string; it's tuned BEADGC).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Compared to what?
    You would have to have an identical bass except without chambers to have a real basis for comparison.

7. Beej

Beej

Chambering will impact tone, how much or how little and whether this is preferable for not is impossible to predict. Pickups, strings and electronics will also impact tone with greater magnitude/effect than wood type used in construction so you have a lot of wiggle room after the bass is constructed, regardless of construction type.

Be conservative and wary when attempting to judge a tone by it's wood, this is a far from an exact art, and don't forget that Warmoth, much as I love them, are primarily marketing when putting up tonewood descriptions for use in solidbody instruments...

8. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I could be wrong, but wouldn't the weight of the neck be more of an issue than the body on a 6 string neck through?

9. zfunkman

zfunkman

You can't go wrong with your choices in wood. Fender uses alder bodies and maple necks . . . need I say more. However, they are not neck through.

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Alder with a walnut top won't be all that heavy. The maple neck beam will be thickest and widest at the bridge end, which will help balance out the weight of all those tuners on the end of the neck.

Alder, by the way, was not chosen by Fender because of any magical tonal property. It was chosen because it was junk wood at the time, used for not much more than smelling good when burned. It was also dirt cheap, and still is.