1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Custom build; unique ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IGotGas, Nov 27, 2013.

1. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

So, I'm considering a custom build in the spring. But, I might want to do something different. I'm just not sure what "THAT" (different) is. I'm considering two different builders (SEI or F-Bass [yes I know they can be wildly different in price]). Other than some basic things I always want on my basses (fretted, 5 string, pretty flat radius, and a preference for Dark exotic wood tops and boards), I'm trying to think of some cool, interesting, unique, useful ideas to set this bass(s) apart.

Some ideas I have are...

1. No knobs. Just pretty much set the way I want it, and there ya go!
    2. Possibly long scale and fanned fretted (I tend to like that build/setup).
    3. Probably LEDs for live play. I can't see well, so I might as well look extra douchey.
    4. This could lead to a multi bass build such as;
    a. Matching basses, one passive and one active.
    b. Matching basses, one bolt and one through.
    c. Matching basses, one a 5 the other a 4 (or a six tuned F#)
    d. Frankly, I've always wanted a quad matching set (a 5 & 4 passive neck through | 5 & 4 passive bolt. [ and when I think about it too much, I want to match each of those, but active] {yes I know there ARE active/passive basses}).
    5. But see, there's nothing here that I really don't already have to some degree or another. I don't want different just for giggles and grins either.
    6. As for playing style, I play mostly country and rock, rarely with a pick, and I don't slap much. I'm a big dude (6'3" 290lbs with big long gorilla arms) and I have zero interest in short scale and weight is not an issue. Also, I'm not interested in headless basses (I have Status for that). So, this bass would probably be a traditional headstock bass.

What are some if your ideas? What would you want on your custom build? Especially those of you who play live quite a bit (but not limited to that group by any means).

2. jamro217

jamro217

Hi. I'm working on a first build from scratch. I was toying with the idea of sliders with large knobs for volume and tone, instead of the usual pots. The bass would always look slightly different depending on what settings you dial in. Another idea was to cut holes through the body (like the old Ampeg basses from '67), only more of them and in a pattern. Another idea is to use a combination of materials to create the top, not just wood. Hope this helps and that your project is a success.

3. BassHappy

BassHappy

Briarcliff Manor, New York via Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hey Gas

As a guy who has had a number of custom basses built, might I suggest robbing a Variax for the electronics. I have to tell you - I go back to mine time and time again. Not only is it quite remarkable to be packing 24 bass sounds in one bass, the vast majority of the sounds are very usable. Also, you can dial in the exact tone of each sound in a variety of ways, and lock it down.
    When you recall the sound, the nuances you already programmed are there.

A guy did a really interesting thing here:

[​IMG]

http://www.exit45.com/VaxIV

And mine is here:

[​IMG]

http://www.innertainment.net/kennelldesigns.html

I know it flies in the face of the no-knobs concept - but be careful, it's easy for the versatility of the electronics to spoil you forever!

Have a great trip out west!

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

http://www.innertainment.net/kennelldesigns.html

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Ash neck with ash body is the ticket in my book. Thing will spit fire.

5. Register to disable this ad