Custom builds (average wait time)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaibeau, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    Anyone know what an average wait time is? What's reasonable? Typical deposit? Any feedback would help my mental state right now-
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Depends on a lot of things. How busy is the shop? How complicated is the design & build? Do they make something you have to have? Did you thoroughly research them? What are the reviews like? etc.

I think a 25% deposit is reasonable, but not if you have to wait for 6 months. If the shop can't deliver in less than 3-4 months, I would find someone else.
  3. spade2you

spade2you

Kinda depends on the builder. Some guys have a very deep backlog of builds due to popularity.
  4. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I waited 18 months for a custom Peavey Cirrus. Love the bass but would not do it again.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

Really?

I think mine was only a year when the custom shop had just opened to the public. They got the color wrong, but it played too good to send back.
  7. jaibeau

Disclosures:
    Hmmm, well this is a reputable builder, extremely popular. I'm not upset or misinformed, just curious on other experiences being this is my first. It's going on 5 months but this is not a "standard" body- in fact, this will be a " one of a kind"- last thing I want is a rush job so I occasionally drop an email on progress. There was never a promise date. I put half down, and apparently based off other threads, that's too much. Oh well, patience I guess.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

I sure hope you don't get hosed on this deal. 5 months is a long time.
  9. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

The wait for my custom Alembic was five months - from order to pick-up.
  10. jaibeau

Disclosures:
    Platinum card... I doubt it, visa likes me-
  11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

As long as the maker is not 'DH' ... ;-)

I gather that half may be typical from what I hear in the Zon and Roscoe threads, but I haven't pursued a custom build so don't quote me. I also believe I heard build times of around 6 mos at Roscoe and a year at Zon but they both have a fairly wide variety of 'standard' in their offerings so I expect some would take longer.

If my remembered numbers are not representative of current reality at Zon and Roscoe, I invite anyone with current data to correct me. I don't want to be spreading misinformation when I'm trying to be helpful...
  12. jaibeau

Disclosures:
    I'm really not worried. In fact my post was just asking for opinions- I know for a fact others have got their P and J type builds in 90-120 days. Mine is a little more insane- ill post pics on this thread...
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant

Up to 1.5 years if communication is good and proof of progress is available.

Of course it depends on the bass and the builder(s). I would think a custom made by a builder that has a small team working for him building one of five* models can turn instruments out much faster than a one-man operation that creates one-offs.

*Figure pulled from posterior.
  14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Half down seems reasonable. That should cover materials.

lowsound
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Admittedly I have never gotten a custom build but 5 months does not seem very long, people wait years for some of their customs to come to fruition. Heck some guys wait years before their call even comes to finalize the details so the build can start.
  16. moonliner

moonliner

Wow.... that's great. I've been waiting over a year.
  17. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

I've waited 3 months and have had 2 different builders take 2+ years. 5 months is nothing. In my experience, 6-8 months is GREAT for the majority of 1-2 man shops out there, and that's even for guys who use purchase their bodies and necks from a secondary source. In most cases, at least in my experience and I've had many custom basses built over the years, most guys will take at least 8 months to 1 year+.
  18. jaibeau

Disclosures:

That's about the answer I was looking for- hey, your in my hood...you in any local bands?
  19. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I should mention that this happened in 1990 - I don't know how things have changed since then.

Also, it's up at Alembic now for some work; they've had it for over 6 months - two months longer than it took to build it.
  20. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

6-8 months? If you're talking pre-made necks and bodies ready to order that seems a bit long, but I mean if they're just outsourcing woodworking to another shop then in that case it's understandable.
  21. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

yeah, I play around town with Matt Barron doing a lot of jam/classic rock/blues...we do a lot of week night Sherlocks stuff and anywhere else where you can still get paid to play non-dance/track music. I also play with a red dirt country guy named Phil Hamilton.