1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Custom Deluxe Upton Karr Hybrid

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses & Bows' started by LouisF, Jan 18, 2014.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

After talking with Josh and Gary Upton yesterday in Boston about commissioning a carved 5-string Concord more or less along Karr lines (and getting the go ahead at home from the significant other for a new bass), I am putting my Deluxe Karr Hybrid on the market.

This is the exact bass in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG1KtGZOxSY

It is in pristine condition and sounds much richer now than when it first arrived 4 years ago. I've done everything from Mahler 1rst (solo) to loaning it out to visiting jazz bassists from Europe, and it has never let me down.

It's a terrific bass. Currently strung with Jargar mediums

$5500.00 firm. I can arrange to have it shipped at additional cost.

Thanks
    Louis
  2. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

Hi Louis, could you post the body dimensions and string length? Thanks.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Hi:

41 3/4" string length
    19" UB
    26" LB

Rib depth: 8" lower bout; 7" upper

E flat neck

adjustable bridge

Thanks

Louis
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Just used this last night at the gala concert for the 100th Anniversary of Beverly Hills. Hate to see it go, but...

BUMP

Louis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Bump.

Below is what Eric Roy wrote about the bass when he completed it;

I wanted to let you know about your bass and what I tried to accomplish. Two of your points stood out, that being weight and low end response. First, I tried my darn best to get her as light as possible...I took the blocks in a bit more than usual, as well as the bracing inside is well thought out and minimalist. Now...for sound...this is not your everyday UB Standard Hybrid. This is not your everyday UB Karr either. This bass is competition ready in regards to what it should sound like for tone (I say should because I have not heard her yet...just numbers and feel alone make me say this). Really. I treated the top a bit like the competition bass...very similar grads and aggressive re-curve coupled with the low flat arching. That competition bass had low end for days while still keeping an even tone throughout that boarder on sweet up on the G. Oh...and the spruce I used for your top was slated to go to Gary Karr as I need to build him two basses for his Karr Kamp by July. I have to find him a new top now!!!

So...While this is a Hybrid...think of her (and treat her) like a fine carved bass. The top is thinner than I would normally do on a Hybrid. And while this is "typical Upton" in regards to a Professor Deluxe bass I would make...it's not "typical Upton" on what someone would get out of the box upon ordering a Hybrid unless they specifically talked to me about needs and upgraded to a deluxe top.

I really hope you enjoy her and look forward to your impressions!
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Bump. Now strung with Evahs!
    Louis
  8. damnlamb

damnlamb

Still available? Would you consider $5500 shipped or 5K cash? I am probably selling a kolstein busetto travel bass as well if interested in a trade. I am in Seattle, WA so could conceivable make a weekend drive down. Are there any other updgrades/accessories? I am considering commissioning a Karr...
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

The bass is sold,
    I would recommend commissioning one of the new ones from Gary and Eric. Thanks
    Louis