Custom grill for Avatar B115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jlepre, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jlepre

jlepre

I just picked up a used B115 to use in our rehearsal space, but not crazy about the diamond grill.

Has anyone replaced it with something more aesthetically pleasing?

Something like either fabric or at least a nicer metal grill?

I'm thinking if I ever use it for gigging, it would look alot nicer with another grill.
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Check out this mod to the Avatar TB153...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs;-avatar-tb153-4ohm-w-upgraded-x-over-grill-feet-hardware-$550-shipped-obo-849770/

Huge improvement, IMO!

Edit: Not sure why "link" is not working. You'll have to cut and paste into your browser.
  3. jlepre

jlepre

That is one of the options I was looking at. THANKS!

I also was looking at a cloth grill as well. I know I need a wooden frame, just not too sure if this option would fit.
  4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

I had a TB153 when he posted that in the TB153 thread. He did post the online merchant where he found it, but it's buried somewhere deep in that thread. You could always PM him.
  5. jlepre

jlepre

I already did ;)
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It's fairly easy to make a grill. I searched around and found a grill cloth that I liked online. Make a square frame out of a piece of wood that will probably cost ya about $1. Piping can be found at upholstery shops for less than $1/yard. I like to attach the grill to the cab with velcro so that it can be removed fairly easily and you dont have to drill into anything. You need some sort of saw to cut the wood and a staple gun to attach the grill cloth.

Krank cabs (originally like this)
    [​IMG]
  7. jlepre

jlepre

Wow! That is a huge improvement over the original cabinet. Where did you get the cloth from?
  8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This is the exact cloth that I got (but there are many others)- http://www.ebay.com/itm/grill-cloth...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6c29e650

It's actually quite gold from certain angles (like up close/standing above it), but I set the direction of it so that the silver tone dominates. On the flip side of this cloth is a fine black weave that makes it look darker overall. Happy with the cloth... it felt like a gamble before I tried it.
  9. jlepre

jlepre

I actually think I'm going to go with a grill similar to my Epifani 15 cabinet. Do you think I could use the same mounting hardware that is already on the Avatar cabinet?
  10. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As I see it, a cloth grille will offer much less protection for the drivers. The cloth may well change how the cabinet sounds. Personally I'd just leave the thing alone and get used to it. :D
  12. jlepre

jlepre

I just HATE the huge holes in the stock grill. I like either cloth, or smaller holes like my Epi. Plus if I ever use them together it will look more uniform if they have similar grills.

I don't worry about protection, as I am the only person who handles my equipment
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Many a girl has lived to regret sentences like that! :D
  14. jlepre

jlepre

15. jlepre

jlepre

16. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a bit much considering the cost of the cab. The ones I bought were on the small size, so the price wasn't bad.

Not my kind of thing, but there's this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=262-866

Save you some weight at least. ;)
  17. jlepre

jlepre

Thanks for the info, but kinda defeats the purpose.