1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

custom jag bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jetjon, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jetjon

jetjon

I started this project w/ a friend who builds guitars. He had never tried a bass and I needed a new go-to bass for work. My '74 jazz bass is just too rare to use on regular gigs. We bought a piece of Alder and cut it up and glued it together. He drew it up and CNC'd it to shape. Here's what we have so far-Warmouth neck and EMG JAX pick-ups!

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=47042

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Very interesting build, especially the twin neck Jazzes.

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  4. jetjon

jetjon

The bass will be painted Prince purple w/ matching headstock! I use EMG X pick-ups now in my jazz bass and LOVE them to death! I wanted a little warmer tone (w/the JAX) and have always wanted a 2nd pick-up closer to the neck w/ it's own volume control.Hope to post more as I have more time to build. Thanks for the comments! This will be a WORKING bass in stead of a pretty type!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JIO

Disclosures:
    Great to hear the JAX's are the bomb! Are you stringing flats?

7. jetjon

jetjon

No, I use DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams only! My Precision uses the flats!

8. jetjon

jetjon

I FINALLY finished it! The color is Tamiya plastic model paint w/an automotive clear-coat. The base was Rustoleum primer. It took a lot of attempts to get this done,but it was a very good learning experience! The bass plays and sounds very much like a boutique bass and is what I needed for gigs! It is the easiest to play bass I've ever owned! It has Hipshot tuners and a D tuner, w/ a Badass bridge. On to the next one!

9. jetjon

jetjon

Go to the projectguitar link on the first post to see finished instrument!

10. JIO

Disclosures:
    Nice job! Would love to hear that pu arrangement - I went w/the JAX's on my Supersonic and really like them - enjoy!

11. kris pung

kris pung

That came out amazing also how different does the middle and neck pickup sound solo'ed?

12. jetjon

jetjon

There is a subtle difference between the two--I like the front PU better, it's more like a P-bass sound. I'm am gonna keep the body style and put different PU's in it and do a neck-thru on the next one!