1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

custom jag bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jetjon, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jetjon

jetjon

I started this project w/ a friend who builds guitars. He had never tried a bass and I needed a new go-to bass for work. My '74 jazz bass is just too rare to use on regular gigs. We bought a piece of Alder and cut it up and glued it together. He drew it up and CNC'd it to shape. Here's what we have so far-Warmouth neck and EMG JAX pick-ups!

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=47042
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Very interesting build, especially the twin neck Jazzes.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  4. jetjon

jetjon

The bass will be painted Prince purple w/ matching headstock! I use EMG X pick-ups now in my jazz bass and LOVE them to death! I wanted a little warmer tone (w/the JAX) and have always wanted a 2nd pick-up closer to the neck w/ it's own volume control.Hope to post more as I have more time to build. Thanks for the comments! This will be a WORKING bass in stead of a pretty type!
  5. JIO

Disclosures:
    Great to hear the JAX's are the bomb! Are you stringing flats?
  6. jetjon

jetjon

No, I use DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams only! My Precision uses the flats!
  7. jetjon

jetjon

I FINALLY finished it! The color is Tamiya plastic model paint w/an automotive clear-coat. The base was Rustoleum primer. It took a lot of attempts to get this done,but it was a very good learning experience! The bass plays and sounds very much like a boutique bass and is what I needed for gigs! It is the easiest to play bass I've ever owned! It has Hipshot tuners and a D tuner, w/ a Badass bridge. On to the next one!
  8. jetjon

jetjon

Go to the projectguitar link on the first post to see finished instrument!
  9. JIO

Disclosures:
    Nice job! Would love to hear that pu arrangement - I went w/the JAX's on my Supersonic and really like them - enjoy!
  10. kris pung

kris pung

That came out amazing also how different does the middle and neck pickup sound solo'ed?
  11. jetjon

jetjon

There is a subtle difference between the two--I like the front PU better, it's more like a P-bass sound. I'm am gonna keep the body style and put different PU's in it and do a neck-thru on the next one!