custom midi work needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslayer, Mar 4, 2014.

1. basslayer

basslayer Supporting Member

I have four Eventide pedals, a Zoom MS 60 B, and a Boomerang Looper. What I want is a parallel mixer to take the stereo out of the MS 60B and split it into two stereo loops mixed with a blend knob; one loop with stereo send and return going and coming from the four Eventide pedals that is always on, and the second loop is the Zoom signal without the Eventide signal path and is muted via a stomp button as well as MIDI command. Does anyone know of any builders that can build this pedal?

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    This seems like an interesting challenge. I'm not a builder, but I could at least help you think it out logically, which might help - and there's probably a series of pedals that will get you to your end result.

I was thinking about the Rocktron Patchmate. It's a great looper pedal because you have to go in and out of each loop separately, instead of the loops being in series. The blending stuff would have to happen outside of this pedal - but you can send a midi command to mute the Eventide side.

Seems like your first (non Eventide) channel could JUST use loop one, always on. Just go in and out from your bypass looper/blender (Wounded Paw?). Your second output could go in and out of loops 5, 6, 7, 8 in series, so you could individually bypass any of the Eventide events inside the Patchmate. Then the 8th loop output can go back to your blender.

That works, right?

3. basslayer

i looked at the wounded paw stuff and its all mono. i need something stereo for my rig. the rocktron might work in the manner you describing, but since the wounded paw (and other line level pedal board mixers like the lehle) are all mono i would prefer if i could just get it all built into one unit.

4. johnbegone

Media:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basslayer

the stereo x-blender has mono input, mono sends, and no midi control.

7. johnbegone

Media:
    Do you want midi control over the blend knob? Or just the ability to turn a loop on and off. I'm suggesting you do that with the Patchmate and use just the blender as a mixer.

8. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/switchblade8f.htm

They have a rackmount or pedalboard version. 8 loops that can be programmed in either series or parallel. To make the device stereo just use 2 loops for 1 signal.

Does this look like what you want?:
    Bass > MS60B >
    MS60B Left > Switchblade Return1
    MS60B Right > Switchblade Return 2 > SwBl send 3&4 (stereo) > Eventide Factors > SwBl return 3&4

Use an expression pedal to control the blending between whatever loops you desire.

If this isn't what you're looking for, or if I oversimplified the signal path perhaps you could draw up a diagram of your envisioned signal path?

9. basslayer

I think the sound sculpture might work. Here is an MS Paint Special of my signal chain as I envision it as well as the what I need from gear I seek.

[​IMG]

10. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Well you should still be able to use the switchblade since there are 4 more hypothetically unused channels, all programmable and blend able.

11. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

Lehle has some great routing options with midi control. The D.Loop accepts TRS, so a custom TRS>(x2)TS cable would be in order. Although I'm not sure, but to me they seem like the type of company to help figure out a custom option for you as well. I've sent a routing problem I had to them and they we're very prompt to help me figure out a solution. I love custom and pioneering routing, please keep up on this thread so we can learn how you got what you wanted, eventually.

12. basslayer

I think the switchblade would work but it is a bit overkill on terms of size and my needs. I want to get this on a cramped board so I was hoping to find someone who does custom midi work. I already have a stereo parallel blender on my board, I just want a version with midi control. It really is just a stereo midi controlled cross fader.

13. johnbegone

Media:
    If you have your perfect setup already without the midi control, take a look at this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/midi-presets-your-analog-stompbox-yup-961465/

Molten Voltage (www.pedalsync.com) makes parts that you can swap out in your analog effects to give them digital/midi control. I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching this stuff because it's a bit over my head, but it may be better to get someone to mod your current pedal using this tech rather than building from the ground up.

14. christoph h.

christoph h.

15. basslayer

How can I contact max or SFX?

16. christoph h.

christoph h.

17. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Check these guys out: http://www.rabidelephant.com/index.html

I've only very briefly scanned the site but they have something called "MidiBrains" whereby they convert pedals, amps etc. to be midi controllable. I don't know if they can offer what you want but it's worth a look...pretty cool stuff going on.

18. basslayer

Thank you everybody for your help. After looking at the timeframe SFX Sound had for the project and seeing that the owner of midi brains won't guarantee his product to work even of he is paid to install it, I found a used rjm y not and mini line mixer. It's not my exact signal chain in that the zoom doesn't oh through the eventide but it is close enough for my needs at the moment. When I build my next board, I will either go with the switchblade 8f or SFX Sound custom work. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. If anyone is interested I will share some sounds from the board.

19. johnbegone

Media:
    Glad you found something to work with for now. I'm definitely interested in hearing some sounds so do post clips!

20. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Once upon a time I owned an ancient AKAI 1U rack mixer that I believe had 8 mono inputs and outputs you could configure routing and levels any which way you wanted, saved to patches, all recallable via MIDI PC. But for the life of me I cannot recall what the model number was. It worked well, was a challenge to program due to a somewhat poor hardware UI, and was easy to configure feedback loops with (potentially a useful feature to some). And it was cheap, like $50 I believe. Might have been line level only.

21. basslayer

I am not at all familiar with akai gear so I never thought to look at them to meet my needs. I thought about using the rack mounted switchblade 8 on my board because I thought it would fit better on my very tight board but it has too much depth to it.