1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Custom neck builders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by robd, Mar 25, 2014.

1. robd

robd Supporting Member

Looking to get some pricing on a custom built neck. Any recommendations on builders who do this kind of work.

I want it to match the shape (as close a possible) to the neck on my Modulus Q5. Prefer someone near me if possible.

Thanks

(yes i searched Md luthier's and read the threads...most are years old and only have the same 2 or 3, or those listed just did repairs)

2. joeeg33

joeeg33

I use to have a shop where I was able to build. But, haven't had a shop in a while, or the tools.
    With that said, business must be great for the builders here because I PM'ed a few of them to ask about simple bolt on neck, never even got an answer back.

3. robd

robd Supporting Member

Yea, most of the custom builders I have been seeing on the net have their standard necks that they build and were not looking to do a one off, bolt on.

so far I am exchanging emails with Jason Ricketts and Micheal Dolan said he would make one....so some progress. ( Michael is not in Md)

4. joeeg33

joeeg33

Cool,
    It's just that when I was building, I would get back to anyone who asked a question, even if it's to say sorry I don't do that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CustomTech

CustomTech

robd i sent you a message

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I no longer do one-off custom necks either, but I can recommend Keith Horne. He's in Burbank, CA, right near where my shop used to be. I work with him regularly and supply him with my truss rods and machining services. He can work by mail order.

You can reach him at keithhorne1@gmail.com

Generally, a custom bolt-on neck is going to cost you $450 to $800, depending on how many options you load it up with. It's about 8-12 hours labor.

8. robd

robd Supporting Member

Vinnie. Please see reply PM.

Bruce, thanks. I'll look into Keith.

9. robd

robd Supporting Member

its not this Keith Horne is it??

10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Hah! No, that's not the same guy. The Keith Horne that I know is a younger guy. I believe he plays guitar in a band, for fun. He's been working as a part-time Luthier for several of the high-end builders around the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles, CA) area for a few years. He does nice work, and we all like him. He's been a client of mine, ordering partially-machined necks and truss rods from me. I've been encouraging him to specialize in one-off custom neck building, working out of his own home garage shop.

As I mentioned, I'm way too busy to do one-off customs these days, so I'm glad to recommend him and pass along the work.

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Michael made me a custom one-off neck a while back. Does excellent work in a timely fashion, was a pleasure to work with, & I'd use him again in a heartbeat.

12. robd

robd Supporting Member

thank for all the replies