Custom P Bass Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zanderwestcoast, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

I am considering getting a custom P bass built by Gil Yaron. He is known and respected for building pre CBS inspired basses to exact standards and specs of the originals, and for amazing attention to detail. I am torn between which wood combos to go with though....

I am leaning towards late 50's featherweight ash body, brazillian rosewood board. Medium thickness neck.....or an early 50's design ash body single coil pickup and maple board and thick neck......but then again maybe alder body with the brazillian board is the classic combo?? ****.....I don't know....

What am I looking for?

Resonant,organic, musical tone.
    Growly, burpy, round, fingerstyle funk
    Smooth as butter to play
    sounds killer with tone rolled all the way off...

Any thoughts??
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Gil Yaron is a master craftsman. I would probably ask him what he would recommend based on your tone goals.
  3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    If you opt for a single coil pickup make sure you play something with one of those in it first and like it. Vibe and mojo of the Tele/slab body aside, there's a reason that Leo went to the split coil in 1957.

good luck!
  4. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ya, noise gates should come with scpb pups but they sound so nice and woodsy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

I though Brazilian rosewood was on the endangered list for the last few decades?? Are people still getting it somehow?
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

How much experience do you have with bass guitars?
  8. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Why do you ask?
    25+ years playing
    Really looking for input from people who have more experience playing the pre CBS instruments.
  9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

I'd personally go for the Alder/Rosewood split pickup for the tone you're going for.
  10. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

My thoughts exactly. That guy is a genius. Tell him what your after and then listen up. You'll be glad in the long run. Good luck and great choice of builder! ;)
  11. aaron1433

aaron1433 Supporting Member

Always boils down to the individual pieces in question. But those are all classic combos. Don't discount what you really want it to LOOK like. That's in part why you're going custom, no?