Custom Pickguard for Hofner 500/1

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by afzoomie67, Feb 23, 2014.

1. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

Hey Talkbass,

I haven't been here forever. Anyway, I have this Hofner 500/1 CT that I play and the pickguard that came stock with it is crap and I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy a real Mother of Pearl pickguard. I checked North Coast Music, they say there's doesn't fit. They're also ridiculously expensive. And if/when I get a real MOP pickguard for it, I'd like to replace the control panel with a real MOP one as well. Does anyone know where I can get both of these items?

2. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

North Coast says it doesnt' fit, but it does. The pick up spacing is exactly the same as it is on all reissues. I know this for fact. At the most, you might have to move the hole on the neck or the nail on the pickguard. I've done this mod several times. Good luck.

3. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

Thanks! That pickguard is so expensive though. But I guess it works. Do you know anything about the control panel? And also, you know the truss rod cover at the headstock? Is there a way to get the writing off? There used to be a video, but I can't find it. And I'm kind of weary about putting another hole in a guitar.

4. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

No problem. If you purchase the German control panel, the whole panel or just the control plate, It will fit. The holes line up perfectly, the only thing needed is to slightly enlarge the holes for the pots...takes 10 seconds with a drill or sand out the hole with a file. Easy.
    The Truss rod is easy with a bit of plastic polish. A lot of people use Brasso, but any mild abrasive and then polish will work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

Sweet! Thank you. And is there any place other than NCM that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Their prices are astronomical.