1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Custom Pickups vendor suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rubendlr, Dec 26, 2013.

1. rubendlr

rubendlr Supporting Member

So I am considering some pickups for a custom build. I am hearing scary things about both SGD and Reed James. So aside from Curtis Novak, who is someone that can get to make something really different? I hear Jason Lollar is great but he has a very limited selection. Same for Joe Barden. Not a lot of stuff outside P/J fare. Suggestions? Is the custom shop from some of the big guys able to do some really unique stuff?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

What do you mean by unique?

Is it the form factor? The sound? The string spacing or number of strings?

Aero is more or less totally custom but their actual pickups designs are relatively traditional in nature if you're looking for Neo magnet designs or blades etc.

Delano's Xtenders are pretty different.

Nordstrand can be really accommodating with custom stuff if what you want is doable with their designs.

Q-tuners might be worth checking out.

Of course EMG & Bartolini still have lots of sizes & options.

And theoretically SGD pickups are going to be offered by Best Bass Gear so you could but them in stock.

Other than Q-tuner I have experience with all of those brands.

3. Mugre

Mugre

Doesn't Seymour Duncan have a custom shop service?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Joe Barden has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I've had great service from SGD but others have not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Teacher

Teacher

There's also Rio Grande.

7. rubendlr

I like blades because I don't want worry about string spacing and I like the look. So again Joe Barden is the guy but he only has P and J (and Ric) shapes. I would like MM or 35 sized bladed PUs or real skinny stick soapbars. Note that the blades don't have to be visible they can be under a solid cover.

Anyway, I've looked at Delanos and they look promising. After everything I really like their JSBC 4 HE. I think it would be a great alternative to the J style pickup. But, here's the rub - I am going to do a build from parts. The most stuff that I am going to do would be the electronics and the finishing. I am not up yet to full on routing by myself but with bestbassgears routing templates I'd might try it on a really cheap body (think basswood or paulownia) and then I can save it from any screw ups if needs be with a pickguard. Funny thing is it seems that this size pickup is only one they don't have a template for, they even have them for the xtenders. Sheesh, can't get a break. They have one for the similar X style Bartolini, though.

I also like the aesthetics of the Lace Music's Alumitone bass bars. Those are pretty much rails there. It looks like they may fit EMG routes. Comments? Anyone have any real world experience with those? I love to give them a whirl. I'd love to here from my fellow bassists/hobbist builders.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Bartolini pickps use rails, and come in all the sizes you are looking for...MM, 35, and skinny soapbar.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Aguilar's new DCB pickups come in Bartolini & EMG shapes and might be worth checking out.

I have a bass with a custom pair of Delano DJC 5 HEs and they are great pickups. I can definitely recommend their blade designs.

10. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

I have used Nordstrands for multiple custom pickups they are quite accommodating! They also have blade pickups now!

11. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Just to make sure the question is answered, Seymour Duncan does have a Custom Shop. And it is still run and wound by either Seymour, MJ (30 years working next to Seymour) and Seymour's son, Derek. Kevin Beller (VP Engineering over 30 years) also helps out with the bass work and designs.

WyreAndWood likes this.
  12. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Pete Biltoft: www.vintagevibeguitars.com

He can make just about anything you want -- much more than his website reflects. If you email him, he can give you more ideas. His customer service is excellent, as well.

13. reep

reep

I've been using a custom builder in Vancouver called Reilander Custom Guitar. He produces a line of custom winds for guitars and basses, but he'll also do custom orders. He recently did a three-tap single coil for my 59 Esquire, and is currently doing a hybrid- Strat single coil and P90 side-by-side in a Filtertron casing - for the bridge of my custom Thinline Cabronita. If you want something really unique, Mike's the guy you need to talk to.

http://www.reilandercustomguitar.com/

14. rubendlr

Thanks everyone for your input. I have a lot to consider. Hope to have this one done by the end of the summer.

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Rio Grande are awesome, but I don't believe they do custom work. It would be worth an inquiry though, their pickups are amazing.

I have only come across one thread about Reed James that was negative, and the matter was resolved. Jim was great in my experience with him. That being said, if you are not 100% confident with him, don't buy from him.

16. pfox14

pfox14

I hear Lindy Fralin does great work.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Yep. Pete is at leadt two steps ahead of everybody else, particularly when it comes to custom... Then he's more or less in a league of his own.

18. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I had a good experience with Patrick Michael at JankTone. In the end, I didn't buy from him because what I wanted was not something he felt he could do a perfect job on (his recommendation), but I really appreciated his personal attention and attention to detail.

19. Johnny F

Johnny F

Another vote for Pete Biltoft. He made a very nice pup for my EB0, and I have one of his pups in my P bass that he made with alnico 2 magnets to take some harshness out.

20. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I inquired with RG about custom work a few years back, and the guy on the other end of the phone came unhinged and went on quite a rant about how customers just need to accept stock models, quit expecting custom features, etc. After a couple minutes of that, I thanked him for his time and moved on.

So, no -- they don't do custom work.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Oh really? Pete's a good guy...he fixed my Realistic violin bass pickups a couple years ago. Might have to contact him about that if I ever get to restoring my Eb-0 like I said I would last week.