1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Custom shop Jazz neck on '57 RI P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jah Wobble Fan, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Got a hankering to mix and match some bass guitar parts.

Specifically, I've got a killer quarter sawn Fender CS jazz neck I think would marry nicely with the body my 57 RI.

Has anyone tried this combo?
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Jazz neck on a P-bass? Never been done. ;)
  3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Haha - touche! And yes, it has all been done -- except that the devil is in the details, and I specifically wondered how a rosewood jazz fingerboard would compliment/effect the raised pole pickup on the '57. I'm hoping to tame the bright high end sound of the '57 and end up with something akin to a CS '59 but with a jazz neck.

Any anecdotal info welcome, cheers
  4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    The AV '57 pickup is pretty punchy. Not sure if changing the neck would make a noticeable change in that, but it's easy enough to take a screwdriver to those four neck bolts and find out. As an aside, I really like the neck that comes on the AV '57, it's wide and flat like my '64. Very comfy.
  5. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

thank you kindly - and I do appreciate that the '57's chunky neck is the main selling point for most fans of that particular bass.

Anyone else tried a swap with these specific components?
  6. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

The bass in my avatar started out with a '72 Precision "A" neck. Super narrow 1 7/16" at the nut. Dan Ransom in S.F. built the alder body finished by Pat Wilkins. This is always my go to bass. Love this set up.

Easy to do neck swap; try it.
  7. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Will do - thanks, Lou!
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The heal on the AVRI basses is a little wider than the "modern" basses. Check to see if the width on you CS neck is the same as the '57.
  9. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Thanks for pointing that detail out, I'll compare the specs on the heel of the two necks as you suggest.