1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Custom Templates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hawkesy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hawkesy

Hawkesy

Hi, I'm unsure if this is in the right place, alas.

I'm looking for some custom routing templates, I'm looking to make my next build based around the Mayones Commodus or Victorious body shapes and was wondering if there were any templates similar to those around the web or if someone could point me in the right direction as my searches have came back empty.

Thanks,

Hawk.
  2. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

3. Hawkesy

Hawkesy

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately neither of those links are entirely what I'm looking for and I've came across both sites before. Thanks for your help though!
  4. Neek

Neek Supporting Member

It might be tough to find someone offering an off-the-shelf template for anything other than a standard fender shape (I haven't done much research), but I'd imagine if you have the tools to build a bass (and knowledge of how to use them), then you can easily create your own templates. I usually just print a full scale drawing of the design I want and paste it to a board of MDF, then with a jigsaw and spindle sander I trim the wood to meet the lines of the printed design.
  5. Hawkesy

Hawkesy

Well, that's what I was planning to do. I just thought I'd try here first as a last port of call, just in case someone had one left over from a build that was similar.
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

If you have any CAD familiarity, you should be able to make a decent approximation of a Mayo bass. Then it should be pretty easy to find a local sign shop with a big CNC router table and have them cut you some templates out of 1/4" (6.35mm) polycarbonate. That's what I do.
  7. Hawkesy

Hawkesy

Unfortunately, I have no CAD experience, I've just used jazz templates for my last build or sketching the body size for my first build (which turned out horribly)