1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Custom Wood Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Mar 16, 2014.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Hey if anyone needs knobs, I've got to say that I've been having a great experience with Clayton over at Archipelago Glass. His website is www.archipelagoglass.com.

Prior to finding out about Clayton, I had a great experience with David King at dknob as well. I think Clayton delivers a comparable product for a better price. He has been great to work with. I'd recommend either of these two companies. I'll post pics soon, the knobs are almost done and should be received soon. I have received prototype pics.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

I have looked at their website, but couldn't find anything I could use. Are you having something made custom? Details man, don't be a tease... please?

3. DaveAceofBass

Yes I'm having some custom made to go on my Linc Luthier bass. The originals were plain ziricote with a piece of abalone glued on top. When I added a stacked control, I had one knob that didn't match the rest, which were fair at best. However the abalone was real abalone that a friend of mine had dived in the ocean for. Since my bass is cocobolo and ebony, I asked him to make me a set of knobs that will combine these woods and make the stacked pot look like the rest, and to take the abalone from the original knob and inlay that on new knobs. He sent me a pic of the prototype. I've asked for a maple indicator line as well, and he said that this will be added before they are completed. They should be done in a week. Here's the pic of the prototype. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395099837.482285.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395099854.331725.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395099865.213728.jpg

4. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Sweet! Looking forward to pics of the knobs on your bass!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smashsquatch

Smashsquatch Supporting Member

Man I need a set of those in ebony and walnut

7. DaveAceofBass

He'll make them for you for a good price too!

8. Smashsquatch

If my wood carved friend isn't up for it I'll definitely be in touch with him

9. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395274514.642548.jpg
    I agree , he made this set which I purchased from him on EBay .they are a great addition to my Tom Martinson Custom Nessie Bass.

10. Noaita

Noaita

Disclosures:
    Shameless booster guy.
    Let us not forget about Devin Cline at Nordstrand Guitars. He, too, does great work.

11. Smashsquatch

Got them ordered today. I'm getting the knurled ebony bottoms with walnut tops and a zebrano inlay and indicator line.

12. Noaita

Noaita

Disclosures:
    Shameless booster guy.
    From Devin?

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

For the same price?

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

No he said he got them here:

http://archipelagoglass.com/ag3/

This guy does great work! I've gotten a few sets from him myself.

15. Smashsquatch

Yeah from archipelago...I started a conversation with him through his Etsy store, we talked about what I wanted, I sent a pic of the bass, we decided on woods, he said he'll try to finish them this week...all told it's under $30 including shipping for a set of 3 (8.99/knob + 2.99 shipping)

16. Noaita

Noaita

Disclosures:
    Shameless booster guy.
    That is a steal!

17. Smashsquatch

uploadfromtaptalk1395380187938.jpg this is what they're going on

18. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Devin Rules!

19. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

How do you get a hold of David Cline?

20. funkbass4u

funkbass4u

Funny thing is I have been waiting for a reply from Clayton since the 12th, so I saw this post and email him a 3rd time now and his response is he is to busy for custom orders, so if that is what your looking for you might have to look else where.

21. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Does he have mass sets already made. Does anyone know of any more places that a person can get high quality wood knobs for a bass other than the sites that's been mentioned on here already?