1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

customizing my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tokian, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tokian

tokian

Hello guys . i am new in the forum so i would like to say thank you.

i am planing to build a bass guitar but am new in the bass guitars so i need some help.However i'm not new in the music scene so i want to build a good bass.

am waiting for a bass kit to arrive and i know that i'll need to change the pickups and the strings. i also want to be able to go through all the possible bass sounds.(like funky/slap or jazzy , punchy and dark sounding) . what products should i use? what is your suggestions? (with examples if its possible)

thanks.

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Hi there Tokian, welcome to TB!

What kind of bass kit have you purchased? These usually already have pickup routes done, which will determine what type and configuration of pickups you could use.

Of course, you could always do more routing.

A P-J bass is a good compromise for most tone ranges, but there are still a lot of options with a straight P or J, or a bass equipped with MM pickups or soap bars. If you let us know what sorta kit you're getting, we can maybe lend more of a hand.

The good news is that regardless of what you have, you should be able to work something in there, playing technique, string selection and a passive tone can get you in the ballpark with pretty much any bass!

3. tokian

tokian

Hello thanks for the reply. I have purchased a jazz bass from thomann.(harley benton j-bass kit).a friend of mine told my that the pickups and the strings suck and i loved the fender jazz pickups 60s so i think if i change the parts i will be able to get to the sound i want.my new question is."what are the best parts that i can use and achieve good quality sound and as many as possible different sounds?" I hope i was understandable