Cut my D string too short :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jul 29, 2005.

1. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

hey I just bought some daddario nickleplat roundwounds and i accidently cut too much off of the d string and i just spent $29 canadian on them :( What can I do? I need a D string and I can't pay for another set, should i talk to the store or what? please help.. i wanna play!
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

String the string (doesnt sound right does it) through the bridge, pull it up the neck and leave 2-3 inch's past the turning post, thats what i do, seems to work fine!

and yeah, should be able to get a single string
  3. nemo

nemo

If the string is still long enough to pass the nut prolong it with piece of old D string.
    Use this knot:
    [​IMG]
    Not very easy, but with pliers you can do it. It holds.
    I did it few times when using string set from other basses with different headstock.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Levy's Leathers
    That could be absoutly lethal if it snaps. Do you have any idea how much PSI there is when it's up to tune? it's something llike...300 kg.
    Didn't mean to sound like a jerk there. Sorry.

But i think you're S.O.L man. but for next time, why don't you string up the bass first, THEN cut it? I put new strings on my bass yesterday and haven't cut em yet.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nemo

nemo

Believe me, it holds even heavy slapping for as long as you want, weeks, months. If I haven't had enough experience with it from the past I wouldn't have posted it.
    As for lethality - snap at the knot is IMO the same like usual snap at the bridge, tuner or at any other place. Many times strings snapped just at the bridge under my fingers. No problem. It just falls down, thats all.
    But of course the safest bet and for piece of mind the best thing to do is to go and buy a new set.
  7. scottz0369

scottz0369

Great use of a knot! That's a sheet bend, right?
    I've used that knot (with rope) when someone's life depended on it, so I know it's a solid knot that won't let you down. As long as it's under tension, it's not coming out. I would have never thought of using it for steel string though.
    100 points for problem-solving!

Scott
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

When I accidentally cut my G too short, I went out and bought a new individually wrapped G for about 8$.
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I've done this many times but luckily I've never cut it so short that it couldn't be used. The worst I cut it was so that it only went around twice (I prefer atleast 3 times). Especially when you first restring a new bass and you don't yet know how long to pull it past the tuning post (ie. 2" works for some basses and doesn't work for others)
  10. lemur821

lemur821

If it's long enough that you can get it around the post once and trap its end under a winding it should hold like that. I had to do that once.
  11. tplyons

tplyons

Buy a seperate string, that's all you can do.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I attempted to lengthen an old C string to put my my fretless 4 a while ago by tying a piece of another string to it, but I didn't know how to knot it, so it just slipped apart. Didn't snap cause I'd barely even tuned it up before it popped off.

Just buy an individual string.
  13. bassplayer2106

bassplayer2106

How do you break a bass string ?.
    I've never managed it in 20 years. :bassist:
  14. tplyons

tplyons

Playing, especially popping too hard, too long, have a burr on a fret, nut, bridge or tuner, etc.
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Ive not played anywhere near that close, but ive only seen one snapped string, that was on my old bass, it was fine when i put it in the case, i had to leave it in the music room at school, then when i got it later and took it out the string had snapped ( G string at that, hoho) , but, alas, thats it
  16. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

holy shiiiiiiiz just buy a new single string.. and damm dude be more careful when your cutting your strings.. get into the habit of measureing each string before you cut it . measure past the post and do that EVERY time then youll never have a problem.i know that 2.5 inches past each tuning peg on my d huff gives me a perfect 3 wraps.but thats for my 32 inch scale... its probably different for each bass
  17. Pantsman

Pantsman

I have 'stretched' an E-string before, i was using a shedload of attack with a pick to try and get a certain 'sound' going and the E suddenly started unraveling, but they were AU$19 for the set, so i am not complaining.
  18. Amatoor

Amatoor

Dude this worked like a charm. It looks very unsafe but has hung in so far. THANK YOU!
  19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    you are joking, right?

A D string has more or less 28kg (60lbs).
    I have all kind of strings breaking and never got injured or else.
    I think it is actually a good idea that knot… if you are broke or in an emergency.

M
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Contact the company they may give you one for free Labella has been great in that area love their customer service.
  21. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well, I always do the same actually. Mostly when I buy new string, I pull them through the bridge, over the nut and past the tuning pegs. I make sure I hold the string as tight as possible, then get a ruler / straightedge and measure about 3 inch away, from the heart of the tuning peg, where the string should be placed in. Then I cut the string off and I wind it up! :D Works very well and the string is always only 2 times winded around the tuning peg :)