1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cut on middle finger and gig tonight....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tjclem, Aug 1, 2013.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I was working on some basses and had to change my bandsaw blade the blade bit my 2 plucking fingers. the index cut is on the side and might not be a problem but the middle finger is right in the wrong area. No I don't know how to play with a pick. i can't picture a band aid staying on can you? Do I spread superglue over it? Any tips or ideas? Thanks...tom

2. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Duct tape....

Seriously one strip from the top over the tip and underneath and one much thinner strip around the finger so it doesn't contact the string.

That was the natural pull of the string will slide along the tape and not across it.
    I would glue the cut too just to make sure.

Been there done that!!!

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Not a bad idea thanks

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

+1 to Mktrat's way of wrapping the tape.

Hasn't happened in a while, but when I was gigging heavily and got blisters, that wrap worked great.

Didn't use duct tape, though--or CA glue. The adhesive tape nurses or sports trainers use held up through a gig and wouldn't pull the skin too much when I removed it at the end of the night. I'm guessing duct tape would tend to break the cut open, seeing how that glue ain't supposed to release.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

There is also liquid bandage that may work well for you. Available at just about any pharmacy. It's worked well for me on fretting fingers, so I don't see a reason it wouldn't work well on a plucking finger as well.

Also, in a pinch, superglue will work.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'd try CA glue first and then see if the tape is needed. CA glue was, after all, invented for use in first-aid! Practice with just the glue for a while and see if it holds. If it starts to pull away at the edges of the cut, go for the tape.

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Try using your ring finger instead of your middle finger. You might be surprised by how well you can adapt.

9. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the tips and I do use all my fingers. I am not a technically correct bass player

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Hey Tom,

CA glue is what I use for my fingers.

Oh, btw, I'm going to move this thread since it isn't really for the 'Bassist' section.

11. Waldo19

Waldo19

FWIW you might want to give electrical tape a try. When I was rowing (blisters on fingers was more or less a constant) electrical tape was the best for protecting healing wounds from the friction of the oar. The elasticity of electrical tape allows it to flex more so than duct tape.

12. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I had no idea where to put it I figured "bassists" would be dealing with it. :D

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

It's all-good man, I was just doing some tidying up and saw the thread.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

1) coat it with clear fingernail polish or "NEW SKIN"
    2) wrap the end of your fingers with fabric medical tape - like the conga players use.
    that will last a lot longer than duct tape and you'll have better feel/sensitivity

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

This.

Hurts like hell going on though, but will do the trick. Recently I cut the tip of a plucking finger and everytime I played, it really hurt. The liquid bandage fixed that.

16. jaywa

jaywa

I did the same thing the morning before a gig, only to the pad of my left (fretting) index finger.

I washed it out, ran a bead of Krazy Glue over it, wrapped a band aid around it and prayed it would all hold together that night on the gig. About halfway through the gig the band aid started coming off (on "Spirit of the Radio", no less :eek: ). But it got me through.

Since then I always carry a tube of Krazy Glue in my bass case. You just never know, especially when the P.A. and lights are all DIY as they are in my band.

17. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

I'm not sure where your cut is , or how bad really, But.. I've used superglue in a pinch before (band aid didnt hold up for long). It hurt like a mutha, and the "feel" is totally different, but it got me through the night.

YMMV..good luck.

+1

18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

19. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

Well using a pick is a good idea, but only if he is comfortable using one. This does bring up a good point. Being ready for injuries such as cuts, torn callouses, etc. does make learning to use the pick a decent safety net. FWIW I had a scorpion sting about a year ago in my right middle finger and my right hand went numb and tingly for a couple weeks. I could hold a pick though and didn't have to stop playing.

20. wighat

wighat

This is also my advice, and I think the best way too go by far. The thin, paper-like first-aid tape though, not the heavy cloth type. I would take 800mg of ibuprofen about 45 min before the gig. This will combat the pain, swelling and stiffness that you will likely experience during and after. There is also that crinkled rubbery bandage material that sticks to itself without adhesive, Vetwrap. It really flexes and won't come undone.

21. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

If you go the CA Glue route, make 100% damn certain you completely sterilize the whole finger before you put it on. The glue seals it really well and keeps everything out... and in. It leaves good potential to make a tiny nick a debridement or removal.